Kansas Prairie Chickens

boiler

Dec 26, 2015
Indiana
Was thinking about planning a day or two of prairie chicken hunting on the way home from a possible CO Elk hunt next year. I saw that Kansas had some management areas that looked promising. Wondered if anyone could give me an idea of what the chances were of actually finding birds without dogs. Never shot one before and would just love to give it a shot to say I tried!
I got good boots and long legs, what are my odds!?

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
There are still some around. It's hard to pin point them without scouting to either find roosting areas in pastures or feeding areas often in soybean fields at least where I'm at. If you find either it's not that hard to get a shot. Shots are often longer and they are fast, long leads are necessary on passing shots once they get up in the wind. A tight choke and 5 shot is a good combo. Without allowing time to scout them or finding local advice where you plan to hunt I'd say odds aren't great. In my area they spend the day on high ridges and I often jump them horseback while riding those ridges checking cattle or off the UTV. They are a neat bird and fun to hunt if you can find the right set-up. Fish and Game claim the pasture burning in the spring has been hard on populations, but that has been happening since the state was settled, even before by nature and some Indian tribes. Burning the old grass lets the fresh grass get an early start, controls brush and weeds, and both cattle and buffalo like that and will move into that area to feed first if given a choice. I personally think the KS wildlife and parks sees the profit in turkeys over upland game because you have to buy a tag and hunting license for turkeys. They are considered big game and require a tag, only a hunting license is needed for upland game.

I think it's more the difference in farming methods and lack of fence rows, milo, more efficient combines, turkeys, and predators that has hurt populations. It's a combination of things. Quail and pheasants aren't near as plentiful either and the survivors have adapted since the late 80's and early 90's when the big drop off occurred. All game bird populations were better then before turkeys were re-introduced and less predator management has occurred. Turkeys compete for food and have flourished, winter flocks of 200+ are common. They share habitat and will eat upland game bird eggs or young also. I love predator hunting, but recreational calling can't control populations like trapping and coyote drives did when fur prices were better and the other input costs to run a trapline like fuel were lower. Coyotes are smart and resist most efforts to control them successfully, I read an article about a study done by universities in 3 Midwestern states. They said you had to kill 80% of the adult coyotes to reduce the population the following year. Coyotes and cockroaches might live in the US long after people are gone.

I'd say it would be a great way to spend a couple days learning new country and hiking through KS, but I'd keep expectations low without knowing where to go. Even if you are in the right spot when a flock flies to feed you get one pass to shoot on, and they aren't easy to hit.

Last edited: