Be Careful

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
Decided this afternoon to go to a stand that has not been hunted much this year. We built a foot bridge to get to this condo stand as you have to cross a small creek that is 8-9 feet deep. The crossing is in a very shaded area and the snow/ice was frozen hard. As I neared the crossing I had to go down a small embankment. As I made the first step my feet went out from under me. As I’m sliding down the embankment I tried to dig my heels in. That threw my feet to my left and the next thing I know I’m laying in 10” of ice and water in the bottom of the creek on top of my rifle. Thankfully nothing was broken. Next was the task of finding a way out of the creek. Finally found where the deer were crossing and was able to dig my heels into their tracks and pull on vines and brush to get out. By the time I made it back to the truck my pants, vest and coat were frozen. I was by myself and if I had been hurt no one would have looked for me until way after dark. Came home, put the rifle in the shop, clothes in the washer and watched the ballgame. Lesson learned.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Especially now that some of us are getting rain on top of the snow. Makes for some sketchy situations at times.

Did you not have your phone with you to call for help?

Reactions: Mr Drysdale

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
Well, I am sore as heck this morning. I‘m headed to the gym to try and work some of it out. I don’t recover as quickly at 66 years old. Anxious to get my rifle and scope cleaned and see how the fall affected the accuracy. Probably won’t shoot until the weather is better as I have others the use. And yes I did have my phone had I needed it.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Lesson learned the hard way. I got a good warning of the old "shit happens" a few years ago when a friend fell off a roof and it took well over a year for him to recover. A neighbor fell in his garage recently and he just returned home after two months in the hospital. He may never fully recover.
I am headed out in the woods on my property this morning to continue cutting and burning dead trees. I have the InReach in an outside pocket, a cell phone in a zippered pocket, and a time-line for my wife to come and check on me. Unfortunately, the are no longer any neighbors who can be called to assist if things go bad, as they aged out, moved away, or died. Endeavor to persevere.

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
Lesson learned the hard way. I got a good warning of the old "shit happens" a few years ago when a friend fell off a roof and it took well over a year for him to recover. A neighbor fell in his garage recently and he just returned home after two months in the hospital. He may never fully recover.
I am headed out in the woods on my property this morning to continue cutting and burning dead trees. I have the InReach in an outside pocket, a cell phone in a zippered pocket, and a time-line for my wife to come and check on me. Unfortunately, the are no longer any neighbors who can be called to assist if things go bad, as they aged out, moved away, or died. Endeavor to persevere.
Yeah, you can’t just quit. I have told my wife and kids that if they find me dead in the woods at least they would know I died doing what I love. And look around to see if they can pick up the blood trail!

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
My dad had said that he would "Take a walk in the woods before ending up in a nursing home." Unfortunately, he developed early on-set dementia and did spend his final four years in one.

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
Well, I removed my stock and cleaned the rifle along with the bore. I did not remove the scope but just used the air hose to blow all of the dirt and sand off and cleaned the lenses. Reassembled everything and put in the safe. Today I had the opportunity to get to the range and was wondering how the fall affected the POI. I had shot this rifle back in December and still had the target so I brought it to the range to see how far the fall had knocked it off. Shot a fouling shot as the bore had been cleaned and then settled in to shoot the target. Attached is the target. I marked the prior hole just in case it was close. I was amazed at the retention of the scope and mounts. Tikka T3 SL in 7RM with a Leupold VX3 mounted in a DNZ Game Reaper. BTW I sight most all my rifles at 1.75-2.00 high at 100 yards.