Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ducks an Geese

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 96 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    Results of goose prosciutto are in..... It's pretty terrible.

The texture is mostly similar to regular prosciutto, and the exterior has a nice salty flavor to it, but the rest pretty much tastes like... A goose.

The dog seemed to like it.

Attachment 12068
    HA! That cracked me up. I'm not much for waterfowl and my wife... well there's no chance there. I'm sure my dog would like it too, but I definitely wouldn't go through that much work to cook it up!
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post
    Breast them and cut the breasts into smaller pieces. Pond them out fairly flat, spread cream cheese on it with some cut up jalapeno. Wrap em up in bacon and smoke or grill. Best duck i ever had.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 10 Posts
    The problem with most duck is that people tend to overcook them and dry them out. I have a homemade teriyaki recipe that I like to use as the marinade (soy sauce, sesame seed oil, garlic, ginger, and cinnamon) that is really great. Grill them on the BBQ like steak and be sure to grill it only to medium rare. Moist, tender deliciousness ensues. A mango chutney on top is a nice addition too.

If you're having troubles finding good ways to cook duck, I always like to look for Chinese/Asian recipes.

Wrapping bacon around strips of duck breast and onion slices and then broiling is a good appetizer too. I served a whole dinner party my swan this way and no one had a clue they were eating swan. Everyone liked it too.
    Can't spell scum without U&M... Go 'Cats!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 234 Times in 47 Posts
    I have been trying to find out how the BigFork Inn in BigFork Montana cooks their duck. Looks like they bone it out leaving the skin on salt and pepper and cook it to a crispy crust and then they top it off with a Huckleberry/Pecan sauce. It is by far the best duck I ever had. If anyone is ever up in that country stop in the BigFotk Inn for dinner and try it you wont be sorry. Its called "Crispy Farm House Duck"
    DIY Public land Elk hunts are not for everyone but everyone should try it at least once in their lifetime. And for all those younger guys that say I don't have the time, I don't have the money, I'm out of shape or I don't have the experience to do a trip. I only have a few things to say. Take the time to make a experience, Save the money to make the trip, Get in shape so you will enjoy the hunt and the only way to get the experience is to go and make it happen. Hunt on Mark!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 44 Times in 4 Posts
    I don't know how you guys can eat ducks that have been cooked more than medium rare. Rare to medium rare is the only way you can avoid that flying liver taste...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    sausage is a great way. i like to marinate sprig breast that has white fat and skin still on it with local legends from the put it on the bbq.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 59 Times in 10 Posts
    The orange juice with goose is disgusting. Almost the worse thing I have ever eaten: I got buddies who will not try it after that stunt. Also all I eat is animals I kill. The juice is just plain gross

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 67 Times in 23 Posts
    Im not a waterfowl hunter but I have friends and neighbors that do it big time. They always want to give me ducks and gees but until I stumbled upon a way to make duck/goose bacon, I didnt accept their offers. Now I cant get enough. Its the same way I make my big game bacon and its one hell of a great way to use us scrap/trim. I will create a separate thread on how its done.
    staysharpguide.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stay Sharp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 44 Times in 5 Posts
    I take duck breasts and slice them thinly and marinade them in Caribbean Jerk overnight. We'll fry them up with onions and peppers for fajitas.

As far as geese, I'll grind them up, mix with some hamburger. Add fresh garlic, Italian seasoning, an egg and some Italian bread crumbs for meatballs. We'll have them with spaghetti or with a gravy over rice/noodles. The kids absolutely love the meatballs.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post

In college all I hunted was waterfowl mostly, just couldn't embrace the wonder that is an East River SD deer hunt! I try hard to cook waterfowl in ways that are not only tolerable, but (dare I say it) enjoyable too. My favorite for ducks, and this one really only works with birds taken later in the season, is similar to what 25Contender mentioned above. Mallards: pick the breast and filet the muscle skin-on up over the keel so that both pieces of meat are held in the center by skin. Marinate for at least 3 hours in 1 cup each apple cider (get the good stuff), chicken broth and brown sugar. Remove duck; marinade in large sauce pan and cook down to a glaze over medium heat. Grill duck breasts skin side down, basting with glaze as you turn it- DO NOT GO PAST MEDIUM!!! This recipe also uses a cajun mustard sauce on the side, the sweet/spicy combo is truly a remarkable pairing. I have a couple other go-to's, but this by far is my favorite. The trouble with waterfowl is as a general rule- it's very dark, and very rich meat. The best recipes I've found take time to put together…my snow goose gumbo is a 2 day process. Worth every minute, but who has hours to cook these days?

Cheers,
    Plainsman

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast