Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Is it illegal to purchase an elk tag from an individual from Craigslist?

    I am headed to northern New Mexico this year to go hunt with a buddy of mine for the first time.

    I didn't put in for the public land draw. Thus, I wasn't going to be taking an animal. I would be going just for the experience. After calling NM Game & Fish, I learned that the only elk tags they have available are for private land.

    I was told to go check out craigslist for tags and low and behold there were dozens for sale.

    Is this illegal and has anyone bought a tag off of Craigslist before?
    If so, is there some type of process to go through to get your name on the tag, etc..

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Allegan, MI
    Posts
    1,360
    Thanks
    123
    Thanked 393 Times in 294 Posts
    Congratulations
    53
    Congratulated 51 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jvidrine View Post
    I am headed to northern New Mexico this year to go hunt with a buddy of mine for the first time.

    I didn't put in for the public land draw. Thus, I wasn't going to be taking an animal. I would be going just for the experience. After calling NM Game & Fish, I learned that the only elk tags they have available are for private land.

    I was told to go check out craigslist for tags and low and behold there were dozens for sale.

    Is this illegal and has anyone bought a tag off of Craigslist before?
    If so, is there some type of process to go through to get your name on the tag, etc..
    It's not a tag. It's a landowner voucher that allows you to buy a tag. Some are good for just that private property and others are good for the enitre unit the ranch is located in, so you need to be careful in what you are purchasing. You buy the voucher and then use that to actually purchase the big game tag it's good for from the G&F.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 08-05-2014 at 09:25 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Umpqua, Oregon
    Posts
    2,554
    Thanks
    476
    Thanked 594 Times in 370 Posts
    Congratulations
    87
    Congratulated 100 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    It's not a tag. It's a landowner voucher that allows you to buy a tag. Some are good for just that private property and others are good for the enitre unit the ranch is located in, so you need to be careful in what you are purchasing. You buy the voucher and then use that to actually purchase the big game tag it's good for from the G&F.
    Very good explanation by TG.

    If you find a tag, I'll bet you could call fish and game to confirm that person receives landowner tags.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 20 Times in 1 Post
    I have bought landowner vochers without a problem. Just due dilegence and check with game and fish if the person selling them has the right to.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    It's not a tag. It's a landowner voucher that allows you to buy a tag. Some are good for just that private property and others are good for the entire unit the ranch is located in, so you need to be careful in what you are purchasing. You buy the voucher and then use that to actually purchase the big game tag it's good for from the G&F.

    So I can buy a landowner tag and hunt on public land?

    I guess I need to call and get the guys info and then call game and fish and see what they really are.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    vegas
    Posts
    1,331
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 179 Times in 123 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 26 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jvidrine View Post
    So I can buy a landowner tag and hunt on public land?

    I guess I need to call and get the guys info and then call game and fish and see what they really are.
    Depending on the tag restrictions. Some will only allow the voucher to be used on that private parcel that it was issued, some are good for the entire unit. I don't know how all states work but I believe majority work this way.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Gotcha. Thanks for the insight.

    It sounds like I will need to get specific info for that tag and check with the NM Game and Fish

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Allegan, MI
    Posts
    1,360
    Thanks
    123
    Thanked 393 Times in 294 Posts
    Congratulations
    53
    Congratulated 51 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jvidrine View Post
    Gotcha. Thanks for the insight.

    It sounds like I will need to get specific info for that tag and check with the NM Game and Fish
    That is a Roger!!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The landowner voucher will be either Ranch only or unit wide , depends on what the tag/land owner put in for. You buy the voucher from the person selling it then you or someone has to go to a NM fish and game dept. and pay for the tag. So you buy the voucher for whatever price the tag/landowner is selling it for plus you have to buy your elk tag, hunting lic. and conservation stamp. The landowner tag/voucher is separate from the elk tag, lic, stamp it just gives you the opportunity to buy the rest of the things you need to legally hunt elk without going through Big game draw.
    Last edited by brooks; 08-05-2014 at 09:46 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bend, Orygun
    Posts
    663
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 193 Times in 143 Posts
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Send a check with the voucher, you don't need to go anywhere.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •