Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 34 Times in 5 Posts

a buddy of mine guides out of Jackson. he talks about an easy cow hunt around there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    a buddy of mine guides out of Jackson. he talks about an easy cow hunt around there.
    I am not as familiar with Jackson, but by Pinedale you can set up looking over a feedgrounds. There is a good chance you can spot them coming or going. Its one of those timing deals, probably. Maybe it is the same by the Hole. Anyway, I think that is good advise tim, going over that direction.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I guess we are in for more than we bargained then. Wasn't looking for an easy hunt just a good chance to get an elk. Any word on the pitchfork or greybull ranches?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Kentuck, the Pitchfork ranch is the ranch I was hunting. I haven't been there for years though, but there were a lot of elk one year and practically none the next. It's hit or miss. And Scott is correct, that is some STEEP country over that-a-way. Like I said, lots of road hunters. Getting around there on foot will be pretty tough. You'll sleep good though, after all that climbing!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Had our hunt. Frustrating hunt because there were tons of elk. Just couldn't get to them or they were on the wrong properties. I have never seen so many elk. Weather was crazy. -24 opening day and a foot an a half of snow. Learned a big lesson about Wyoming, if it looks like a mile away it is probably two or more.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentuck View Post
    Had our hunt. Frustrating hunt because there were tons of elk. Just couldn't get to them or they were on the wrong properties. I have never seen so many elk. Weather was crazy. -24 opening day and a foot an a half of snow. Learned a big lesson about Wyoming, if it looks like a mile away it is probably two or more.

That sounds like the same lesson I learned on my fist trip out to Wyo. My buddies and I are looking to do our first cow elk hunt next year. What advise do you have for a guy looking for a DIY cow elk hunt.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 51 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ithunter View Post
    That sounds like the same lesson I learned on my fist trip out to Wyo. My buddies and I are looking to do our first cow elk hunt next year. What advise do you have for a guy looking for a DIY cow elk hunt.
    My advice would be to go in September!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post: