Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    Hi Mule3006Elk,

Colorado Cowboy gave you excellent advice. A good gunsmith is as required as a good physician. The best components in the world won't be worth a darn if they're not fitted together properly.

The reason I have deep respect for the .280 Rem is not just because it fires .284 caliber bullets. I like handy rifles that are powerful. For me, I prefer 22" barrels and rifles cambered for cartridges that won't loosen fillings. I have fired big guns. I prefer to shoot rifles with manageable recoil. A hunting equation that I learned a long time goes something like this: Big gun + big recoil = big miss. For me, the .280 would do everything I need done. On the other side, I know a hunter who has killed just about everything in North America, including griz, with 26" Weatherby chambered for .300 Wby. BTW, another hunting buddy who hasn't achieved neophyte status once told me that my 7MM Rem Mag is not an elk gun. When I told that to my Weatherby hunting buddy, he looked confused and responded, "What is he? Nuts?"

I think that the 11th commandment of hunting is that we should hold other hunters in high regard and never speak ill of them. So far, I've never condemned another hunter for his rifle or cartridge preference. Of course, I might violate that commandment were I to run across a neophyte hunting elk with a .22 Hornet. As long as a hunter matches cartridges & bullets to game and is proficient with his rifles, I'll wish him hunting success.

As we all know, within reason, hunting cartridges are personal preference. Truth be told, for all practical hunting conditions, the '06 might just be better than the .280 Rem. Even that elephant hunter said something to the effect that a Model 70 in .308 Win would have been a better choice than his 7X57. Heck, no cartridge would be a hunting cartridge if it couldn't kill game. I guess that the best we as hunters can hope for is to send a bullet that will penetrate and destroy into areas that will permanently interrupt an animal's ability to pump oxygenated blood to its brain. What cartridge we use to accomplish that boils down to preference.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SansSouci For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 44 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
    I got my M70 gone as fast as possible because of the noise of the safety.
    700 makes alot more noise when it goes off when you dont want it too! The reliability of the M70 safety is 1 of the biggest reasons I am such a big fan of it.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 1 Post
    I like to switch shoulders when carrying my rifle on a sling. I found that the safety on a 700 or the Colt light rifle I had with the same type safety would rub into the fire position against my pack on occasion when carrying the right handed bolt gun on my left shoulder. I sold them all, went to only tang (Savage, Browning) or 3 position (Winchester, Ruger) safetys. My buddy had the same problem, he put a PT&G 3 position on his 700. There are options.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mcseal2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 105 Times in 14 Posts
    I've built several customs on 700's and I doubt I'd change. I do like the model 70 looks but can't argue with all the after market stuff for the 700!
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 7 Posts
    I just had a Winchester Model 70 classic sporter built into a Nosler 280 AI with a 24" standard contour barrel. I just weighed it and without optics it tips the scales at just a touch over 7.5 pounds. I'm really happy with how it turned out and cannot wait to get it scoped up. Been wanting a controlled round feed Model 70, and a 280 or 280AI for a long long time.

NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 6mm Remington For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 7 Posts
    I am using a Rem 700 action for the 280 I am having built. Already had the action ergo my choice. That said, the main advantage to the Rem. is it's popularity and known techniques to improve it. Nearly every aftermarket company will make parts. I have a wide selection of stocks, firing pin/spring, etc., choices. M70 not nearly as popular, not that this would make it a bad choice. If your gunny likes the M70 and knows his stuff, perfect. The secret sauce to make a 700 action very accurate is widely known, I am going to add a new trigger to avoid any Rem trigger discharge issues, have it squared/lapped/blueprinted, bush the bolt and screw it into a nice Brux barrel by a gunny who loves 700's. For me the weight difference, if any would not matter, nor would CRF for the hunting
    my 280 will do.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Pre 64 Model 70. Thats what I'm always told is one of the best actions ever created.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    700 for me all the way.
    Get a Timney trigger and any concerns are gone, and you get a awesome trigger

13. The Following User Says Thank You to xphunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 44 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Multi-SpeciesHunter View Post
    Pre 64 Model 70. Thats what I'm always told is one of the best actions ever created.
    The newer Model 70 controlled round feed action is nearly identical to the pre 64 and just as good. Its the post 64 push feeds that are not so well liked. Not that they are really a bad action, they just dont compare to the CRF action.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Michigan's Upper Penninsula. South central in Delta Count bordering Menominee County.
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Can't go wrong with either one as the base to build up a rifle. I do like the big, visible wing safety of the M70. I even had the safety of a couple Rem700's converted with a couple aftermarket side swings. Triggers, my vote is in agreement with others as I swap out to a Timney set at a clean, crisp, 48oz. no matter what action is used. This thread is timely as I recently completed a rifle project which is chambered in .280 Rem. I wanted a lighter wt. carrying rifle as opposed to the long shooters which seem to be in vogue. Project met my expectations as the complete rifle with scope bases installed is right at six pounds. I figure I should be able to have a combined weight at just a little under eight pounds after the set-up is complete with scope, sling, ammo which is my goal. I looking to develop a handload with the Nosler 140 Accubond. Had an itch that needed scratching for a long time to put together a .280. Seems like an under appreciated cartridge that will take care of most everything I intend to hunt.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to stevevan For This Useful Post: