Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    colfax, wa
    Posts
    5,740
    Thanks
    1,464
    Thanked 830 Times in 668 Posts
    Congratulations
    239
    Congratulated 44 Times in 18 Posts
    I dont like angled spotters and have trouble finding anything in them, but I havent used one that much either so maybe would get used to it if I did. Some guys really like them. 1 advantage is you can use a slightly shorter tripod with an angled. Trying it is definitely a good idea!

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Andover, Minnesota
    Posts
    228
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 38 Times in 30 Posts
    Congratulations
    5
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    I use a straight eyepiece. The advantage of straight is it can make finding the game in the scope a little more instinctive. The advantage of the angled is it can be a little more compact and it allows you to use a shorter tripod, saving some weight, and lowering your profile when glassing.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    754
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 146 Times in 128 Posts
    Congratulations
    117
    Congratulated 42 Times in 8 Posts
    One thing to keep in mind with a Swarovski is (I'm about 100% sure on this) the warranty is not transferable. With the Vortex you get the best warranty you can ask for.

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Work2hunt View Post
    One thing to keep in mind with a Swarovski is (I'm about 100% sure on this) the warranty is not transferable. With the Vortex you get the best warranty you can ask for.
    I just called customer service and they assured me that the warranty transfers with the product forever. They still want to run the s/n to make sure that it was at one time bought from an authorized dealer. If it was then the warranty is still good.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dolores, Colorado
    Posts
    3,130
    Thanks
    355
    Thanked 670 Times in 460 Posts
    Congratulations
    43
    Congratulated 51 Times in 23 Posts
    Anytime you can get high end optics and a great price used, it deserves a look as to condition & price. My top of the line Leupold B & C HD was less than 1/2 and only a year old!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    754
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 146 Times in 128 Posts
    Congratulations
    117
    Congratulated 42 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYLife View Post
    I just called customer service and they assured me that the warranty transfers with the product forever. They still want to run the s/n to make sure that it was at one time bought from an authorized dealer. If it was then the warranty is still good.
    I recently purchased a new Swarovski so I'll have to check my warranty card. I was pretty sure it read non-transferable. Maybe this is a case of what they say isn't actually what they do.......

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,299
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 429 Times in 284 Posts
    Congratulations
    5
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    Swaro's USA warranty as written is pretty convoluted, IMO. It warrantees "the optical system" for the lifetime (product or owner lifetime?) for "defects in materials or worksmanship" when the product was purchased by US Residents from an authorized US dealer.

    "All other parts" of the product are waranteed for ten years except "electronic components" are warranteed for 2 years from purchase.

    The reality is, however, that SONA has a reputation of taking care of even used buyers of their products, as long as they didn't come through the gray market.

    As to the OP's question regarding the non-HD ATS, I would prefer the Vortex Razor HD85 from an optical standpoint.

    Also, there are no questions about the Vortex warranty.

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Swaro's USA warranty as written is pretty convoluted, IMO. It warrantees "the optical system" for the lifetime (product or owner lifetime?) for "defects in materials or worksmanship" when the product was purchased by US Residents from an authorized US dealer.

    "All other parts" of the product are waranteed for ten years except "electronic components" are warranteed for 2 years from purchase.

    The reality is, however, that SONA has a reputation of taking care of even used buyers of their products, as long as they didn't come through the gray market.

    As to the OP's question regarding the non-HD ATS, I would prefer the Vortex Razor HD85 from an optical standpoint.

    Also, there are no questions about the Vortex warranty.
    Bitterroot Bulls,

    That was my original concern with the scope. For the same price I can get the Vortex Razor HD85, as for packing it around it is almost a full 2lbs heavier. Today I would take optical standpoint over the weight/sizw. When I am in the backcountry I might be swayed the other way. Man, this decision is harder than I anticipated.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,299
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 429 Times in 284 Posts
    Congratulations
    5
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYLife View Post
    Man, this decision is harder than I anticipated.
    Trust me, I know what you mean.

    Paralysis by analysis.

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    I own a Swaro and a Vortex. Take the Swaro.

    BTW, Swaro is great on warranty (in fact, they are repairing an eyepiece of mine right now that I bought used). Like was mentioned, verify it was originally sold via an authorized dealer in USA and you are good to go.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What do you look for in a spotting scope?
    By IdahoSkies in forum Optics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-17-2014, 06:55 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-11-2014, 04:25 PM
  3. Spotting Scope
    By Fish in forum Optics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2013, 04:36 PM
  4. New Spotting Scope under $500
    By Rackman1 in forum Optics
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 09:45 AM
  5. Spotting Scope
    By Nebraska Outlander in forum Optics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-24-2011, 06:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •