Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    I should add, be mindful of what you buy when you get your first one. I always carry a spotter in my pack, and rarely if ever use it from my truck. I made the mistake of buying a Vortex Skyline 80mm; which is a great scope for the money, but is a beast to lug around. When I upgrade my scope (which I intend to do in the next few years), it won't be 19in long and weigh 4.5lbs. I think a 65mm scope is a good size for the average hunter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 3 Posts
    I hunt differently with a spotting scope than without one.

WITH- Find a Vantage point and stay there until dark. Usually to determine where I am going to go the next morning in the dark. This is the "Finding" portion of the hunt. I may do this from Camp or within 2 miles of the trail back. Not as concerned with concealing my presence. If I spot something in range of a stalk, I'll probably leave my pack and scope there.

WITHOUT- Working smaller pockets. Still with a good view, but glassing down into the bottom of draws, and moving more often. I may have spotted some deer or elk from afar and I'm looking to relocate them. Now I'm "Hunting" and I expect to see critters on my side of the mountain. Not looking out of my Stalking range..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm still new to mule deer hunting. I took the advise of many on this forum last year that recommended having a spotting scope before I went on my first mule deer hunt. I am glad I did. During my hunt, I found as many deer with my spotting scope as I did with my 10X42 binos. A bedded deer can be tough to pick out, even with good binos.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post
    I have been hunting with spotting scopes and without. That is one piece of equipment that i would like to own. The only one that i have ever used was my uncles swarovski. after using that i thought that i should save my money for a nice one rather than buying a cheap one. after hunting without him the last two years i am really rethinking that decision and looking for one that isnt gonna cost me an arm and a leg.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 51 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYLife View Post
    I have been hunting with spotting scopes and without. That is one piece of equipment that i would like to own. The only one that i have ever used was my uncles swarovski. after using that i thought that i should save my money for a nice one rather than buying a cheap one. after hunting without him the last two years i am really rethinking that decision and looking for one that isnt gonna cost me an arm and a leg.
    I bought a used Leupold B & C HD that was only a year old and saved over $900.00. Check out local gun shops that have used stuff, pawn shops and gun shows. You never know what will turn up.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post: