Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 4 Posts

Grizzlies and backpack camping

I grew up backpack hunting sitka blacktail on Kodiak island and camping out all the time and i never had any problems with bears. I recently moved to NW Wyo. and am looking to start some back pack hunting for mulies and elk next fall when I will be a resident. The view on bears down here is way different than in AK. I am wondering if the bears are as big of an issue in the backcountry as all of the non hunters i talk with make them out to be? Does any one on here have much experience backpacking in the Greater Yellowstone area or is it really as bad as everyone says it is.

I have seen 8 griz since i moved here in the spring but haven't had any interactions with them. Are the as aggressive as people make them out to be?

Thanks

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 467 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 58 Times in 34 Posts
    http://youtu.be/pBijQ8HU6l4

There are a lot of them and they don't really fear humans at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 7 Posts
    http://sportsafield.com/content/hunters-and-grizzlies

I just saw this article today. That seems like a lot of sightings already for you. Way more than me anyway, lol. Maybe there are some references cited in the article.

http://missoulian.com/news/state-and...e68cf2d89.html

It kindof sounded like the Yellowstone grizzlies rely more on meat in their diet than bears with berry and fish food sources, especially this time of year. I heard something about the decline of cutthroat trout being part of it. The part about having the grizz follow the hunters trail is a little unnerving (sp?).

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 6 Posts
    In the summer, they stay up in the high country and I never have had much problems with them coming into my summer camps...But the moment the season changes and the rifle shots begin, They are around constantly. I guided for 5 years in the Teton Wilderness, and I have been in close quarters with grizzlies far more times than i can count. The only thing i will say is, I wont hunt that country without my horses. You couldnt pay me enough to backpack hunt up there. Ive had days where ive seen 5 different bears a day. We ran 3 strand electric fence around our camp that pushed 11,000 volts at night, and you would wake up to bears hitting it in different spots and just grunting. . Now there are areas with lower population of bears than where I was, but not by much I would say. IF you decide to backpack hunt in WY grizzly country, the first thing you should do is buy the Counter Attack bear fence for backpackers..Nate Simmons uses it in a Western Hunter episode after going through hell the year before with bears around him. . Depends on where you decide to hunt, but i personally will not be hunting up in griz country overnight unless i have my horses. Just my 2 cents from years of experience in the thick of grizzly country WY.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info guys. Those articles are a good read. My main concern is chasing mulies up high in september. Would you advise against camping out in the 9500 to 10000 ft range that time of year?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As a wyoming resident...Why are you going into grizzly country to chase mulies? Best mule deer hunting is in non-griz country for the most part. .But if you decide to go into griz country to do that...You wont be alone at those elevations that time of year for sure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 7 Posts
    It sounds like you have already spent some time up there, but I also wanted to add that there are other dangers at those elevations. Black bears, cougars, wolves, and elevation sickness. A guy died from elevation sickness in the Big Horns this hunting season. I don't think they were even close to the 10000 feet mark. Pretty sad deal. Those Cody and Dubois type mountains are even more remote and help is farther away I think. Just some more food for thought, thought it should be pointed out at least I guess.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mntnguide View Post
    ... Depends on where you decide to hunt, but i personally will not be hunting up in griz country overnight unless i have my horses. Just my 2 cents from years of experience in the thick of grizzly country WY.
    Help me understand why you won't hunt griz country without horses? Is it so you can pack electric fence in to protect your camp?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My horse knows when a grizzly is around long before i do...They are as much an alert as they are for packing gear in. I just personally have no desire to be without horses deep grizzly country. Like i said, i have been within 50 feet to many times to count, and without having my horses around, I would have felt a hell of a lot different about the situation. Also, when it comes to shooting an elk in grizzly country, I like to get ALL the meat from my kill, and having horses or mules with me enables me to get it out quickly..I GUARANTEE you if you are unable to get an elk out quickly, you will return to a furry azz biter who will have buried meat and be guarding the area..another reason i want my horse. I have chased grizzlies off kill areas before, but i am guessing without my horse, I am a lot less scary looking to bear standing on the ground yelling at him. Just my personal opinions on having spent over 500 days in the mountains of NW Wy in the past 5 years in the heart of grizzly areas..Especially now that the population has grown to the fact the bears are pushing further and further out of their previous known range..There is a reason the # of attacks has grown every year in the past 5 years, The bears that get pushed out of their normal areas by bigger bears are more prone to be desperate for food, and I have no desire to happen to camp in the spot that bear decides it is going to find its next meal. I have seen a bear take 11,000 volts and walk away like it was no big deal, They are beyond tough when they are hungry.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mntnguide For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    mntnguide Thanks for the info. I got up high a few times this summer and found a few pretty decent bucks in August. It also seems lie the best opportunity to take bucks with a bow from what i found scouting this summer. These last few weeks have been pretty productive in finding lower elevation bucks that I just couldn't seem to turn up on public land in the summer. I am still figuring the area out as few as country and deer movement. I would just like try everything before I rule out options.