Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Black Hills, Wy
    Posts
    191
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post

    They capture the bison that migrate onto private land with cattle. Bison carry a brucellosis disease that if the livestock catch, they will abort all their calves. They have been doing this for some time now. Some years its a lot and others its a few bison. Once again its all stemming from landowners pressuring that something be done. Its a pretty simple system if you haven't seen it done before. I assume that's why they won't offer more tags (which would be nice).

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Blue Springs, MO
    Posts
    1,143
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 213 Times in 164 Posts
    Congratulations
    8
    Congratulated 31 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
    Bison carry a brucellosis disease that if the livestock catch, they will abort all their calves. They have been doing this for some time now.
    Yet, there's never been a documented case of domestic cattle transmitting brucellosis from a wild bison...
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,606
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 266 Times in 204 Posts
    Congratulations
    85
    Congratulated 55 Times in 12 Posts
    amen fink, amen.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    colfax, wa
    Posts
    5,827
    Thanks
    1,502
    Thanked 856 Times in 691 Posts
    Congratulations
    260
    Congratulated 46 Times in 20 Posts
    Brucellosis is a big concern in beef cattle. If I was running cattle around there I wouldnt want Buffalo that could have it mixing in with my cows either.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    760
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked 125 Times in 117 Posts
    Congratulations
    10
    Congratulated 24 Times in 6 Posts
    Why the hell haven't they been maintaining the population already? Just like the wolves, wait till it's to late. So they couldn't let a certain amount of people in to hunt a few in the fall?

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Posts
    356
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 146 Times in 85 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 35 Times in 4 Posts
    They have been culling the bison herd every year in yellowstone for many years. This isnt a new thing, just getting more recognition for some reason this time. . It is illegal to hunt inside Yellowstone, and they arent about to try to activate a new legislation to allow people to be part of the cull process when they dont need to. Other national parks, such as Teddy Roosevelt in the dakotas and even Grand Teton just north of Jackson have "reduction programs" in place. I dont believe you will ever see that occur in Yellowstone. The antis would go ballistic...

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    486
    Thanks
    172
    Thanked 96 Times in 83 Posts
    Congratulations
    65
    Congratulated 62 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mntnguide View Post
    They have been culling the bison herd every year in yellowstone for many years. This isnt a new thing, just getting more recognition for some reason this time. . It is illegal to hunt inside Yellowstone, and they arent about to try to activate a new legislation to allow people to be part of the cull process when they dont need to. Other national parks, such as Teddy Roosevelt in the dakotas and even Grand Teton just north of Jackson have "reduction programs" in place. I dont believe you will ever see that occur in Yellowstone. The antis would go ballistic...
    When Teddy visited Yellowstone his intentions were to hunt and take back some taxidermy samples, after he caught heck over it he decided against it (at least it was not documented to my knowledge). He did skin a few rodents for the taking though!

    IMO a proper wildlife management plan could be instated for places like Yellowstone, all it would take is proper ethical legislation and the backing of major wildlife groups. If we can re-introduce a extinct animal then we can save the ones already there, EDUCATION is the key but man do we lack that nation wide.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    760
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked 125 Times in 117 Posts
    Congratulations
    10
    Congratulated 24 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AT Hiker View Post
    When Teddy visited Yellowstone his intentions were to hunt and take back some taxidermy samples, after he caught heck over it he decided against it (at least it was not documented to my knowledge). He did skin a few rodents for the taking though!

    IMO a proper wildlife management plan could be instated for places like Yellowstone, all it would take is proper ethical legislation and the backing of major wildlife groups. If we can re-introduce a extinct animal then we can save the ones already there, EDUCATION is the key but man do we lack that nation wide.
    Well said AT hiker! Unfortunately our government isn't that smart!!

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kingwood, TX
    Posts
    2,104
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked 330 Times in 245 Posts
    Congratulations
    99
    Congratulated 73 Times in 9 Posts
    Great opportunity to create some more auction tags.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    486
    Thanks
    172
    Thanked 96 Times in 83 Posts
    Congratulations
    65
    Congratulated 62 Times in 14 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mnhoundman View Post
    Well said AT hiker! Unfortunately our government isn't that smart!!
    No joke!

    But it is OK to catch and kill every lake trout in Yellowstone (because they are invasive species) but we cannot soundly manage our other critters? Our countries leadership has over dosed on stupid pills for sure!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. bison return??
    By ivorytip in forum Other
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2014, 09:26 PM
  2. Wyoming Bison
    By gon4elk in forum Wyoming
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 02:29 PM
  3. Yellowstone Wolves
    By Ikeepitcold in forum Predator
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-10-2013, 08:11 PM
  4. Yellowstone Wolf
    By Spud in forum Back at the Tailgate
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-09-2012, 05:31 PM
  5. What's the deal with Bison?
    By CrimsonArrow in forum Montana
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •