Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    1,127
    Thanks
    354
    Thanked 375 Times in 279 Posts
    Congratulations
    374
    Congratulated 106 Times in 16 Posts

    Click Here!

    I'll bone out using gutless method if on foot. If on horseback, I'll carry a small sawzall and quarter after gutting. You can quarter an elk in about 15 seconds using a sawzall.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bend, Or
    Posts
    1,887
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 455 Times in 362 Posts
    Congratulations
    183
    Congratulated 187 Times in 31 Posts
    I have yet to bone out a bull, I have only killed 6 and half of those were close enough to a road they came out whole. The ones I packed out were in quarters, similar to Guys method (saw over axe). The caping was informational for me, I usually just leave the cape on the skull and let the taxi do it. Most of the time I am within a days travel from the taxi. That info could be useful for me someday. Thanks for posting them up!
    Last edited by Timberstalker; 02-11-2014 at 03:33 PM.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Timberstalker For This Useful Post:


  4. #13
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,920
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 697 Posts
    Congratulations
    6
    Congratulated 84 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    I have yet to bone out a bull, I have only killed 6 and half of those were close enough to a road they came out whole. The ones I packed out were in quarters, similar to Guys method (saw over axe). The caping was informational for me, I usually just leave the cape on the skull and let the taxi do it. Most of the time I am within a days travel from the taxi. That info could be useful for me someday. Thanks for posting them up!

    I worked for a taxidermist for a while in college, and he really preferred that the face be skinned ASAP! The quicker it is done, and the hide is salted, the better the quality of the mount.

  5. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bend, Or
    Posts
    1,887
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 455 Times in 362 Posts
    Congratulations
    183
    Congratulated 187 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    I worked for a taxidermist for a while in college, and he really preferred that the face be skinned ASAP! The quicker it is done, and the hide is salted, the better the quality of the mount.
    Thats interesting, I have had multiple animals mounted by 3 differant taxidemists, they all tell me to leave the hide on as long as I either get it to them or in a freezer ASAP. My sheep was the last thing mounted, the cape was on it for 36 hours before I got it in the freezer. It turned out great!


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sheep mount 1.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	8066

  6. #15
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,920
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 697 Posts
    Congratulations
    6
    Congratulated 84 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    Thats interesting, I have had multiple animals mounted by 3 differant taxidemists, they all tell me to leave the hide on as long as I either get it to them or in a freezer ASAP. My sheep was the last thing mounted, the cape was on it for 36 hours before I got it in the freezer. It turned out great!


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sheep mount 1.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	8066
    In all fairness, the guy I worked for did gripe about some outfitters who were terrible at skinning out the face. He would have preferred that they not even touch the thing.

  7. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bend, Or
    Posts
    1,887
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 455 Times in 362 Posts
    Congratulations
    183
    Congratulated 187 Times in 31 Posts
    I believe thats is why, I have been scared to ruin a cape every since they said "let me do it". The video makes it look easy, I think I will try it next time.

  8. #17
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,920
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 697 Posts
    Congratulations
    6
    Congratulated 84 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    I believe thats is why, I have been scared to ruin a cape every since they said "let me do it". The video makes it look easy, I think I will try it next time.
    Honestly, the trick is not using too big of a knife.

  9. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Laramie WY
    Posts
    880
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 191 Times in 141 Posts
    Congratulations
    5
    Congratulated 67 Times in 10 Posts
    Depends on how far I'm from the vehicle. I'll always do gutless, but if I'm within 2 miles I'll carry the bone. If it's further or real nasty country I'll bone it out completely.

  10. #19
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,920
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 697 Posts
    Congratulations
    6
    Congratulated 84 Times in 47 Posts
    I rarely haul bone, but inclement weather is usually the reason when I do. If the snow is going like crazy and I need to be done quick, well the whole thing goes in the pack.

  11. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Peachtree City, GA.
    Posts
    1,810
    Thanks
    581
    Thanked 452 Times in 411 Posts
    Congratulations
    752
    Congratulated 86 Times in 22 Posts

    Click Here!

    Very cool. Guy does make it look easy. My question is pack weight? Never seen long handled hatchet on bivouac hunt pack list. Guess this stays in truck or you go without. Also did anyone notice the turkey in background of last video walk by right around 4:10 mark? Was kind of funny.

 

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hi, new to hunter's site:)
    By hushgritting in forum Other
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-29-2014, 11:11 PM
  2. After the Kill, Meat Care Tips-New Hunter's Resource
    By ScottR in forum Everything Backcountry
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-26-2014, 03:06 PM
  3. Boot Care-New Hunter's Resource
    By ScottR in forum Other
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-19-2014, 05:15 PM
  4. Clothing Layers-New Hunter's Resource
    By ScottR in forum Other
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2014, 01:14 PM
  5. 61 Bull
    By elkhunter1988 in forum Colorado
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-17-2013, 08:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •