Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 4 Posts

DIY Prince of Wales hunt

Looking at doing a DIY hunt in 2017/18. Originally was thinking spring black bear but why not go in the fall and try for deer as well. I have been looking into this a lot lately, First trying to figure out best way to get there. Being in the midwest will be flying. Probably fly to Ketchikan, then not sure if we would have to take boat over or fly to the island, haven't got that far yet. I have read that the later in the season for deer they will come closer to the coast. Not sure how late is the year to go before bears hibernate and bucks drop antlers? Deer season starts Aug 1st not sure when the best time to go would be factoring in hunting opportunity and weather. Starting to scout the island but not sure what kind of habitat I should be looking for for the deer? Bears I would plan on hunting the coast probably. Any info about hunting them would be appreciated. I have plenty of time to do the research but nothing beats personal experience.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Alaska DNR website has a ton of great info. Cabins are cheap to rent from their state sight. Taking a ferry from Juneau to Ketchikan also brings down the price. The hard part I've found is finding a local shop to rent a boat for a week. Also some islands do require you to draw a tag. I can't remember what one.
    Mathews Heli-m, 70 lb limbs, 29.5 draw, trophy ridge 7 pin sight, qad hdx rest, fuse 8 in stabilizer, g5 6 arrow quiver, cabelas stalker extreme arrow 4 in vanes, rocket hammerhead, tru-fire hardcore release

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rcfireninja For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 4 Posts
    Yes I am trying to learn their web site. Looks like the area of wales island does take a draw if I read it right? Will look into there site for cabins, I found a place that has cabin 4x4 and boat, no details on specifics yet, would be $800 a person on a side note its cheaper for me to fly to ketchikan then Juneau
    Last edited by lostriverproductions; 01-06-2015 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 3 Posts
    I've never hunted there, but I did spend a week in Klawock doing a little fishing. We flew into Ketchikan and then took a float plane into Klawock. Had the option of taking the ferry, which at the time was a little cheaper, but it also takes 4-6 hours longer and I was crunched for time. I spent all my time out on the water so I don't remember seeing many deer, if any, but I did see quite a few bears on the western side of the island and right around the inlet where the lodge sits. We stayed at Fireweed Lodge in Klawock. They are a fishing lodge but I do believe they rent rooms like a motel would. I believe you can also stay there and eat there as well, even if you're not fishing. Food was excellent. The owner, Bob, has been living on the island for many many years and may be a good source of local knowledge. He's a very nice man, but like I said, his focus is fishing so I'm not sure how much help he could be. I know he has a bunch of boats and even has a few that he lets his clients use if they want to do a little crabbing. He also offered us the use of a pickup if we needed to run into town for supplies. Here's a link to their website......

http://www.alaskafishingkingsalmon.com/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pmcgovern For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would look for other communities besides Ketchikan in POW to base a deer hunt out of...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    You will need to draw as a non-resident, unguided. The odds for drawing were about 36% last year.
    I've only hunted it once, many years ago. They had some nice bear and deer there then. Plan it right and you should have some fun.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AKaviator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sounds like a fun trip. I'll be watching this thread to see how it goes. Those little Sitka deer are on my bucket list. I had a magazine article fir years I lost about an island you could deer hunt on. It had a old WW2 air strip and barracks on it. You could stay there or a guy had put a couple cabins in up in the deer country you could rent. Didn't have bears on the island but dif have a ton of foxes. Wish I still had it sounded like a dream trip to me

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 12 Posts
    I have no experience with that hunt, but one day I hope to. Also look at the Alaska Outdoor Fourm for info and local knowledge on your exact hunt. Good luck

-)---> „
    Got him!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 50 Times in 5 Posts

I would do a marine vessel based hunt. I would also do it out of wrangell. Why , because you can hunt the north part of the island that is not road accessible, plus you can go over to Kuiu island and hunt the land of giants. Be prepared for rain and lots of it. When I have done this hunt before we hunted inland along the streams because the bears are feeding on fish. I didn't see but 2 bears on the coast when we hunted in the fall.. We did see a few deer but far and few between. Plus on a marine vessel you can fish and catch dungy crabs .. South east AK is probably one of the coolest places on earth. Giant rain forest that makes you feel like you are in prehistoric times. Good luck eh

13. The Following User Says Thank You to alaska2go For This Useful Post: