Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 43 Times in 17 Posts

I expected to draw region C 2nd choice last year and it went from having leftover tags the year before to about 5 to 1 odds 2nd choice last year. I think region E did something similar. Just saying some things have changed recently with quota cuts and areas that usually have leftovers may not anymore.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 51 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberle View Post
    Region M deer also had leftovers.

***See my post above regarding Region M!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    was wanting to do the same thing let me know how is goes

Thanks
    Congratulations
    im confused. i'm looking at a topo map for antelope unit 21 (aka middle fork, between casper and buffalo) . it seems at least 25% of the unit is BLM land, most of which is accessible via county roads, i.e. not land locked.

yet DNR warns that 21 is low on public land, it has left over tags every year, and people in this thread says to look elsewhere if you dont mind paying for access to private land.

can anyone tell me what i am missing? the topo map is here:

http://www.mytopo.com/products/hunt-...NTELOPE&gmu=21
    Last edited by valle; 03-08-2015 at 12:14 PM. Reason: fixing typo

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 58 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by valle View Post
    im confused. i'm looking at a topo map for antelope unit 21 (aka middle fork, between casper and buffalo) . it seems at least 25% of the unit is BLM land, most of which is accessible via county roads, i.e. not land locked.

yet DNR warns that 21 is low on public land, it has left over tags every year, and people in this thread says to look elsewhere if you dont mind paying for access to private land.

can anyone tell me what i am missing? the topo map is here:

http://www.mytopo.com/products/hunt-...NTELOPE&gmu=21
    Some or part of the roads listed have been given back to the landowners which makes them a private road, not public. No public road no access. A lot of people make the mistake that there's a road so I can drive on it. Need to talk to local wardens to verify that the roads are not seasonal and don't get gated and locked or that there just that not a private road and you can actual drive down it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 64 Times in 10 Posts
    hunted 21 last year....there are several roads on the topo and gps that aren't actually roads when you get there....some are totally non existant. Plan on being able to drive the perimeter roads and some 2 tracks...that's it
    Facebook.com/TheEverydayOutdoorsman

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks for the answers guys! so even numbered county road (e.g. 113/114/115 that makes the southern border of unit 21) are not necessarily open to the public? seems its a gravel road and one can clearly see the cattle grate on google street view. as strange as it sounds, i read elsewhere that this may be a good sign the road is closed to the public (?)

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4194...C4GhE9-5Xw!2e0

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 2 Posts
    There are cattle gates (auto gates) on many public roads in WY from what I've seen. The maps that I have show 113,114 and 115 as public roads.

I've read in other posts that some roads in 21 have locked gates....

I'm not looking to hunt 21 but it looks to me like 113,114 and 115 are public.

BobT and MWScott72 - any comments? Sounds like you guys both have experience in the area

Thanks!
    Last edited by PlainsHunter; 03-08-2015 at 05:07 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 58 Times in 9 Posts
    Best bet is get the map in front of you and make the call to the county our the warden they will tell you every road, no guessing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by valle View Post
    thanks for the answers guys! so even numbered county road (e.g. 113/114/115 that makes the southern border of unit 21) are not necessarily open to the public? seems its a gravel road and one can clearly see the cattle grate on google street view. as strange as it sounds, i read elsewhere that this may be a good sign the road is closed to the public (?)

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4194...C4GhE9-5Xw!2e0
    Go to the WY county website in question. They should have a link on their website that shows a map of all the roads maintained by that County (i.e. public). Take your paper BLM map if you have one and use a color highlighter to mark these roads on your map.

I haven't yet figured out a way to know 100% for sure if a non-county road shown on a BLM map road that crosses private lands is open to the public or not. Primary BLM roads with BLM access signage are pretty easy to figure out. The secondary roads are a different story. It gets interesting when you get to a barbwire cross-fence on what appears to be an open BLM roadway with an unlocked unsigned barbed wire closed cattle gate crossing the roadway you are traveling right on the line dividing private property and BLM. Are you permitted to travel through the private on the roadway to the public on the other side or not?

With regards to cattle guards, they are are pretty standard on the primary roads in cattle country, and to the contrary usually means the road IS open to the public...

Horniac