Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 123 Times in 31 Posts

330 8.7gpi elk strong??

ive changed over to Easton bloodlines 330 8.7gpi, 65lb draw wght. and it has really helped my shooting. my hunting buddy is skeptical on if it will be strong enough for elk. i shoot a pse brute. now im getting skeptical myself, should I go heavier? ive shot 400 and even the 340s but im really liking these 330's. am I good to go?? I cant imagine it not making a pass through if I don't hit that darn shoulder blade.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 44 Times in 12 Posts
    What do the arrows actually weigh? Fixed head I assume? What's your draw length. 330 is the spine and that's probably stiff enough regardless of DL.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Tough to say, your scores could be anywhere from mid 40's to 90 on kinetic. How long of arrow, weight of broadhead, speed of bow?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    honestly, I don't know weight of arrow all set up. 29" arrow with 125g tips. speed of bow? don't honestly know that either. not with this set up, tonight or tomorrow ill go check that out. its moving plenty fast though. and yes, fixed head.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm shooting the Blue Streak 250's (7.2 gpi / 0.413" spine), 27.5" draw, 344 grains of total arrow weight at 269 fps. Haven't decided between the Rage Hypodermics (which shoot oh so sweet) and the G5 Montecs (which I haven't had a chance to shoot yet). The local archery pro with lots of elk hunting experience assures me this will be more than enough, so I'm sure you are even better with a heavier draw weight, heavier arrow.

Also, look at this diagram. There is so much real estate there to hit that you'd have to be cursed to hit that shoulder blade.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Definitely a good choice to use the heavier arrow for elk but it also depends on your bow. The latest EBJ has a good article on arrow momentum. I'm shooting a Bowtech Expierence, 29" draw, 65 lbs, 430gr arrow and it shoots my hunting setup at 300fps. That gives me 83ft-lbs and plenty of momentum. Your heavier arrow will be slower but have more KE and maintain its momentum better after hitting something. Shooting an elk is a lot different than a deer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 56 Times in 21 Posts
    I agree with using a heavier arrow on elk; front of center and shot placement is key. I believe your stated KE is a little high. I calculate it to be 78KE. Still plenty to kill an elk and your speed would actually be 285. Absolutely nothing wrong with the setup. Women and children are killing elk with 50lb bows. :-)

I calculated the optimum arrow weight & speed for your setup (in my opinion), and came up with arrow weight of 375. Thus giving you a speed of 301 and KE of 75. IMHO and for discussion point only. I spend my to much time with my setups, bowpress, chrono. lol Additionally, my buddy shoots the experience so I have the chrono numbers for this exact bow. There are plenty of on-line calcs to use for figuring what you want and they are very accurate as I've ran every bow I can get my hands on for testing purposes. I like to check the honesty of the manufactures and I'm a numbers geek. Keep in mind a heavier arrow is quieter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cnalder View Post
    Definitely a good choice to use the heavier arrow for elk but it also depends on your bow. The latest EBJ has a good article on arrow momentum. I'm shooting a Bowtech Expierence, 29" draw, 65 lbs, 430gr arrow and it shoots my hunting setup at 300fps. That gives me 83ft-lbs and plenty of momentum. Your heavier arrow will be slower but have more KE and maintain its momentum better after hitting something. Shooting an elk is a lot different than a deer.
    Plan, Prepare, Hunt, Learn, Repeat

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 56 Times in 21 Posts
    Ivorytip - Your setup is more than capable. Don't change a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    ive changed over to Easton bloodlines 330 8.7gpi, 65lb draw wght. and it has really helped my shooting. my hunting buddy is skeptical on if it will be strong enough for elk. i shoot a pse brute. now im getting skeptical myself, should I go heavier? ive shot 400 and even the 340s but im really liking these 330's. am I good to go?? I cant imagine it not making a pass through if I don't hit that darn shoulder blade.
    Plan, Prepare, Hunt, Learn, Repeat

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks for the info guys, I never did weigh my darn arrow, I did take it in yesterday to have some new servings put on and a new string stop on it. I even raised it to 70 but 65 is just my sweet spot for that bow so its back to 65. it shoots great, Brodhead target hasn't missed me much since last august, had to get a new one. first elk hunt for rifle bull opens tomorrow, gonna go out with my brother to get me even more pumped for sep! thanks again! now if I could just get the stuff I ordered a long time ago id be a happy camper.....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 153 Times in 36 Posts
    Even though I like a 430gr+ arrow total weight for Elk yours should be fine.
    DIY Public land Elk hunts are not for everyone but everyone should try it at least once in their lifetime. And for all those younger guys that say I don't have the time, I don't have the money, I'm out of shape or I don't have the experience to do a trip. I only have a few things to say. Take the time to make a experience, Save the money to make the trip, Get in shape so you will enjoy the hunt and the only way to get the experience is to go and make it happen. Hunt on Mark!!