Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 45 Times in 7 Posts

Archery Close Shots

How far is your closest big game shot with a bow? I find myself practicing great distances so I feel steady and confident out to 40 and 50 yards. It has helped with kills out that far, but the ones I really remember are the closest ones. Last year my bull elk was 12 yards and my mule deer buck was 8 yards. The bull came into cow calls and I was luckily set up in the perfect spot just downwind of some small jack pines so when the bull came behind them I could draw undetected and when he cleared the trees, all 5 of my pins were on the animal, that is close!

The buck was closer, and I'm fortunate he did not bust me. He was coming up a hill on a trail on his way to a big tree that was scraped up. I drew as he was downhill, when I could not see him because I knew if I waited until I could see him that he would catch any movement. I only had to hold about 20 seconds and he was broadside at 8 yards.

Both shots were complete pass throughs, and the animals only went about 50 yards. I practice for long range, but sure get a rush from being close to these great animals. Please share your close shots and how they happened.

Best of luck in the next couple of months.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 9 Posts
    I've shot a lot of deer, especially doe, on tree stand at 10 yds or less.
    I like the up close and personal, but also like the longer stuff when the situation is right.
    Plan, Prepare, Hunt, Learn, Repeat

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 4 Posts
    Closest was my whitetail last year at 18. I thought that was close! Can't wait to get one under that. I had a doe at
    About 5 yards last year but didn't shoot. Awesome getting that close
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 7 Posts
    The first deer I ever shot with a bow was 0 yds away but 20' below me. He walked under my tree stand and I shot straight down between the shoulder blades. Shot another doe like this as well. I can honestly say both shots were the worst shots I have ever taken on whitetails. I found the first buck but not after a long night of trailing and letting him lie. I never found the doe. Bled like a stuck pig but never found her. These are really bad tree stand angles. Not sure if anyone else had that problem, but I will never take that shot again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts
    X2!

Only deer I ever shot right below me I never found. Haven't made that mistake again. 95% of my shots have all been within 20 yds. only one past 30 was an antelope. Several of those were 7-15 yds. Looking forward to some longer shot opportunities in a few weeks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 125 Times in 28 Posts
    Almost all the Elk I have shot have been closer than 20yds. The closest was like 8 yds. I can remember it vividly. Out of a stand deer hunting I wont shoot anything under 15 yds it is just a bad angle. I have shot deer out to 50yds in the past.
    DIY Public land Elk hunts are not for everyone but everyone should try it at least once in their lifetime. And for all those younger guys that say I don't have the time, I don't have the money, I'm out of shape or I don't have the experience to do a trip. I only have a few things to say. Take the time to make a experience, Save the money to make the trip, Get in shape so you will enjoy the hunt and the only way to get the experience is to go and make it happen. Hunt on Mark!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 126 Times in 17 Posts
    If wild boar count- 1 yard. I'm pretty sure the broadhead was penetrating just as the fletching cleared my rest. I was hiding in the brush next to a thin trail that a nice boar came walking down. I was able to draw while he was 20+ yards away and he never saw me. Closest deer was about 5 yards.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    blacktail deer walking on the trail I was standing on and shot it at around 5 feet or so.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 7 Posts
    1 yard on coyote. I was in 1 row of a milo field and saw him coming my way in next row. Recurve and he didn't have a clue till arrow hit right behind the shoulder.
    NRA Life Member
    Colorado Bowhunters Life Member
    Nebraska Bowhunters Life Member

10. The Following User Says Congratulations to NE69 For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Out of 30 some archery deer kills (most of them whitetails), my closest was also my first. A mule deer doe in western Colorado in 1997 at all of 8 steps. Boy was she surprised when she came out from behind the big spruce and I was standing there at full draw! I've shot several at 10-15 yards from tree stands and as far away as 50 to 60 yards on the ground but I would have to say that the majority of them were 20-30 yards.
    The critters have to win every time. I only have to win once.

NRA Life Member