Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Homemade digiscoping adapters

I have a Sony RX100m3 and would like to figure out a way to attach it to my Vortex Razor spotter to get some pictures while scouting. They make some high dollar adapters but I would like to try making something cheaper before I decide to spend the money. A friend of mine knows a machinist that might be able to try to make something for me. Has anyone ever made a homemade adapter that works decent and would be willing to share how you made it?

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 346 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 45 Times in 23 Posts
    PVC pipe fittings...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 31 Times in 2 Posts
    Sounds interesting can you post a picture or describe further? I am wanting to digiscope as well and the price tag for the adapters is ridiculous.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 2 Posts
    Are you wanting to use a full size camera, pocket size point and shoot, or a cell phone?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 31 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ando_31 View Post
    Are you wanting to use a full size camera, pocket size point and shoot, or a cell phone?
    I am not sure if this was directed at me but I am wanting to use a pocket size point and shoot. Any suggestions would be great I currently have a Cannon Elph small camera I carry.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 44 Times in 18 Posts
    I made 1 from a piece of ABS pipe and bolted a piece of 1/8'' steel on it and another bolt in the steel attaches to the camera. I split the top of the ABS pipe so I could stretch it out a bit to go on the spotter. It kinda works ok but I wouldnt say I have my design perfected yet
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am wanting to use a point and shoot, I have a Sony RX100 III.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    As ScottR stated PVC fittings, I watched a guy in Yellowstone several years ago with several different sized pvc fiitings and pipe about 2 inch or so attached to his Zeiss spotter taking pictures through the lense that you would put your eye up to look through. Just figure the outside diameter of the eyepiece and adapt through either extra fittings and or small pieces of pvc to fit the outer portion of the lense on your camera. As MM posted a small bolt adapted on to hold the camera. An electric remote for your camera makes it even better then you do not bump it pushing the button to take the picture. Good luck and God bless

9. The Following User Says Thank You to luckynv For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 2 Posts
    The threads on the bottom of your camera (if it has a threaded female tripod mount) are 1/4"x20. PVC to go over the eyepiece of the spotter. Attach some aluminum strap to it with small screws and put a 1/4"x20 bolt in that to attach your camera. Might need to make an L out of the aluminum to get the mounting screw for your camera in the right spot to line up the lens with the eyepiece on the spotter.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Shane13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

great homemade adapter

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky2 View Post
    I have a Sony RX100m3 and would like to figure out a way to attach it to my Vortex Razor spotter to get some pictures while scouting. They make some high dollar adapters but I would like to try making something cheaper before I decide to spend the money. A friend of mine knows a machinist that might be able to try to make something for me. Has anyone ever made a homemade adapter that works decent and would be willing to share how you made it?
    look my homemade adaptor
    http://www.chassimages.com/forum/ind...213692.25.html

I use a plumber foam to squeeze inside the pipe
    I glue the pvc pipe on 52-49mm stepdown ring (It the size for my leica 8x20)
    I insert the leica and snap to RX100
    I paint a nice landscape to have good looking :-)))))))

Have fun
    Last edited by clementperron; 03-03-2015 at 04:12 AM.