Thread: UT General Deer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts

UT General Deer

So I've been doing a little research for the Utah general deer tags. From what I've found out, there are some really good bucks that come out of those areas but also have lots of pressure. I'm mostly interested in archery since I'd be able to go out there in late August before any of the other seasons start. For some of the guys who have hunted the general seasons, what is realistic to expect? Nobody has to tell me where they hunted; I'm just more interested in the hunting pressure and deer quality. I'm sure I'd shoot anything over 140" so I wouldn't be super picky.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 6 Posts
    Utah has some great archery hunting on over the counter tags. I hunt primarily in the Uinta's and while the deer population isn't booming, there are some great bucks to be had if you know where to go and where to look. I don't get to serious about it anymore until the extended archery hunt in November. The buck in my avatar was killed in a general over the counter tag. Good luck to you if you decide to give it a go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Utah's general deer hunts can produce some pretty nice bucks if you follow a few simple guidelines. First, be willing to put in the miles to hike away from the general hunting population. We have a problem in utah with lazy truck and ATV hunters that aren't willing to get off their asses and head deep into the back country and hunt. The trails on common public hunting ground look like high ways sometimes. I use this kind of pressure to my advantage by using my previously stated advise. I get in early, I hike in far and I get up high to spot over large tracts of public land. The less trucks and ATV's you see the better off you are. Second, check thats harvest statistics on Utah's DNR website. They post the success rates for each unit so that should give you an idea of what your odds are of putting a deer on the ground along with the amount of hunting pressure to expect.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Ive been pleased over my last 3 Utah gen muzz hunts.Fair pressure,havnt got a whopper yet but 3 for 3 isn't bad for the freezer.