Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lightweight reasonably priced cameras.

Okay so I am one of hose guys who takes pictures exclusively with my phone. I would like a decent camera that is small enough to fit in the pack without worrying about wasting precious ounces. It doesn't have to be top of the line just small, durable, and take halfway decent pictures for less than, say 400$. I am completely ignorant with camera features, I have a small samsung I have had for a while but it doesn't really cut it. Any input would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by humbletaxi; 10-09-2014 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I like the canon powershot cameras for a small point and shoot. I've had two and love them both. I think you can get a really nice one for under $300. My iPhone takes pretty nice pictures though so I don't carry a dedicated camera much anymore.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 7 Posts
    I carry a Sony cybershot in my cargo pocket at all times. It's small and takes good pictures.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I recently bought a Sony DC-HX50V and carried it on a recent elk hunt. I purchased it mainly because of the lens quality and the 30 power zoom. I had looked at ruggedized cameras etc but picked this one because of quality per the expert at the store and so far have really liked it. Got it as an open box at BestBuy and saved a bunch of money. Might be worth a look.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    You may want to take a look at Panasonic Lumix TS3. I've used and abused mine for the past 3 years. I do a lot of fishing and it is totally waterproof. In fact, I often take underwater pics with it. I wouldn't buy another non-waterproof camera! It also takes incredible 1080 video. I have a Gopro and the video and audio on the TS3 is way better. The batteries last for ever and I can get a lot of pics and videos on a single SD card. You can find great internet deals on the TS3. They have a newer model but the new one may not be any better than the TS3. It is pretty close to the size and weight of a phone. The photos and video quality is pretty amazing. Check it out...you won't be disappointed!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 49 Times in 6 Posts
    I would look into a canon SL1 its an easy to use dslr that has tons of function's and if you take the box lens off (which is usually a 18-55 mm perfect lens for trophy shots) it can easily fit into a pack and doesn't weigh very much at all.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 105 Times in 14 Posts
    Canon Elph is what I've been using for 5-6 years. They have some astounding models out now that aren't much bigger than a pack of cigarettes and the image quality on them are remarkably good compared to the DSLR's I run. There are a few small DSLR's like DBull stated but having to put lenses on and off can be a real pain and you run the risk of water and dust getting on the internal lenses!
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Hard to go wrong with the small Canon cameras.

They have good color and sharpness and are sturdy. They also have a large, sensitive sensor that is more important than more megapixels, at least up to a point. Get one with a good optical zoom number, digital zoom is meaningless.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaFlatlander View Post
    I recently bought a Sony DC-HX50V and carried it on a recent elk hunt. I purchased it mainly because of the lens quality and the 30 power zoom. I had looked at ruggedized cameras etc but picked this one because of quality per the expert at the store and so far have really liked it. Got it as an open box at BestBuy and saved a bunch of money. Might be worth a look.
    That looks like a pretty sweet camera, thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    Canon Elph is what I've been using for 5-6 years. They have some astounding models out now that aren't much bigger than a pack of cigarettes and the image quality on them are remarkably good compared to the DSLR's I run. There are a few small DSLR's like DBull stated but having to put lenses on and off can be a real pain and you run the risk of water and dust getting on the internal lenses!
    That is pretty much what I am looking for.