Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 2 Posts

Click Here!

Multi-species Hunter, I want to jump back in and put in a few extra cents.

If haven't already, go to school - college, trade school, whatever - now. I'm 38, I finally decided what I wanted to do when I grew up a few years ago and now I'm playing catch-up.

You may have exactly the experience that a manager/company wants or even needs, but, they (usually HR) want you to have a degree. Some places don't even care what the degree is in, they just want the degree and they will hire some kid off the street with a degree and no experience before they will hire you with no degree and years of experience.

It makes no sense to me and it drives me up a wall, but it's the way the world works now.

Now that I have a wife, a house, cars, a full-time job plus reserves and now a kid on the way, school is a real PITA. It eats into time for things like hunting and camping.

That said, if you get a degree, get a professional degree, i.e., engineering, chemistry, biology, etc, not one of the basket-weaving type of degrees that are handed out like candy now.

Basket weaving degrees might get you more pay at some places and into a managerial spot at others, but a professional degree will do all that plus open a lot of doors that a basket-weaving degree never will.

An alternative would be some type of trade, where you do an apprenticeship or a formal trade school.

Whatever you do, do it now so that you will have the free time later on.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 7 Posts
    Professional Animal Scientist - I work for a Feed company doing Sales, Formulations, Ingredient purchasing, Software implementation and support, Employee Management, and manage whatever crisis needs addressed.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Journeyman Wiremen Ibew 176 Joliet Il. It has its ups n downs but a good career overall. Not as much travel n storm work like linemen, but when work is slow you do what you have to.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm also a Journeyman Wireman Ibew local 177 Jacksonvill, Florida. Been living the last 20 years in Elko, Nevada and working as an electrician maintenance man in a Gold Mine. Good to see one of my brothers on here kesand72. fatrascal.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am a VP at a bank. I work hard during the spring and summer and play hard in the fall and winter!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well I have been in Law Enforcement since the age of 20 now 38 so 18 years already. Wow how time flies! I have worked for a few different depts. but just last year I finally landed a job with the US. Marshal Service (Desk Jockey) which I have always dreamed about and I am enjoying every minute of it. My first love is the outdoors and everything about it though.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I seem to be the only retired truck driver.

I feel so special.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm 54 and work as a machinist, the money is all right I suppose and I get 4 weeks of vacation a year. The best move I ever made though was staying in the Navy long enough to retire at age 38. The Navy check gives me the financial ability to hunt and fish as much as I want to.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    I'm 54 and work as a machinist, the money is all right I suppose and I get 4 weeks of vacation a year. The best move I ever made though was staying in the Navy long enough to retire at age 38. The Navy check gives me the financial ability to hunt and fish as much as I want to.
    Good move. Sure wish I had my head screwed on straight in my youth.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Click Here!

I'm a cattle rancher. Owner. Operator. We feed the wildlife for everyone to hunt.

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast