im asking to see which western states use the lottery system for elk license and which states i can just go purchase annon resident license and go hunt. im asking the question because i simply dont know which states just sell an over the counter elk tag. Im not concerned about a trophy unit at this moment in time just want to go out and hunt for the first time. Ill worry about a trophy unit after trying a western hunt