Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Michigan's Upper Penninsula. South central in Delta Count bordering Menominee County.
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 3 Posts

Smile To Brake Or Not To Brake?

Howdy: I need some advice and/or recommendations from you fellas who have experience with the use of muzzle brakes. I came into a midweight 'glass stocked rifle chambered in .300 Weatherby. I haven't been around muzzle brakes very much but I have an idea this rifle may be a candidate for something to reduce the recoil. I've done a bit of research on the internet and I understand the noise to the shooter is an issue. I'm asking from those who have a brake what is your observations as far as recoil reduction and the increase in muzzle blast. Any recommendations for a particular brake would be excellent. Finally, if you were to do it over again would you go the brake route or leave the barrel as is? Thanks guys.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 59 Times in 6 Posts
    I'm not an expert, but can speak from personal experience. I had a 300 WM Browning with the BOSS, and a custom brake on a Winchester 338 mag. They reduce the recoil quite noticeably, but the muzzle blast becomes fierce. Always wear plugs and muffs while at the range. Most systems allow you to replace the brake with a cap for hunting, but there can be some change in point of impact. If you choose to hunt with the brake on, there are ear plugs on the market that still allow normal hearing. I never seem to notice either the blast or the recoil when I'm shooting at a big elk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 11 Posts
    Just my two cents. I have a Sako 338 I put a brake on about ten years ago. I did it after putting the first box of shells through it at the range. I have regreted it ever since. Yes it knocked the recoil way down but you cant hear anything with all the ear protection you have to wear! I now also own a 375 RUM for Africa and it makes the 338 feel like a 270 but no way I would brake it. Get a lead sled for the range - they work like a champ to dampen recoil. If you are like me you dont feel nothing when shooting at the real thing and your ears will thank you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    I have a .204 ruger with a brake idk why the guy put it on but it's fierce I almost hate shooting it, I have hunted with guys with brakes and guided hunters with brakes and I absolutely hate spotting for them when they have a brake. You can't hear you feel it in the binos and it throws me off trying to spot. And everytime they have shot it has been a longer shot where I had to give the best spot I possibly could. And it's tough to do, my dad wanted to brake his 300, I kept talkin him outa it an finally said here shoot my 204 he did an was pissed how loud it was for him, then I said ok stand here and spot for me and I thought he was gonna throw his binos at me. I agree get a sled for the shooting range and when ur hunting you shouldn't focus on the recoil, I always try and watch my bullet hit and focus on the bullet hitting. It helps me hold my gun closer and ignore recoil. As a guide I always tried to move about 15-20 yards away from the hunter on the shot they would wonder why and I'd tell them, so I started packing 1 ear plug for the shooter side to try an help my ears.

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gypsumreaper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 242 Times in 33 Posts
    I have met very few people that were happy they installed a muzzle brake... I have a lead sled but I actually prefer wearing a thin recoil pad on my body instead. This allows me to shoot from all the normal hunting positions without beating up my shoulder. MidWay USA sells the pads for a very reasonable price...they work.

Michigan's Upper Penninsula. South central in Delta Count bordering Menominee County.
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 3 Posts
    Thanks for all your help. I'll save the $ from installing a brake and get a Lead Sled ordered. Take Care. Steve

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 50 Times in 5 Posts
    Muzzle break all the way. Shooting a gun is like shooting a bow ! When you put your gun in something that prevents you to hold it differently than you would while hunting is bad. A guy doesn't have something hold the bow or draw it back because of too much weight does he ?? The whole point of practicing shooting is just that . Same cheek weld, mounting the gun level, breathing, position, same distance from scope, yada, yada.. The lead sled takes that away.. One of 10 year old twins can take my 338RUM & hit a 9" target @ 600 yards all day with a lead sled BUT, take the lead sled away he can't even remotely come close. Just my experience anyways. There are several articles on this and many go against the sled ..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 4 Posts
    I put one on my .300 win mag and love it. If all you do is practice with a lead sled then you will not be able to produce the same results in the field. Lead Sleds are good for sighting in/ verifying accuracy and that is it. If I have to wear hearing protection so my .300 win mag kicks like a baby then that is OK with me. Not to mention if you start shooting a large caliber and it is uncomfortable enough so you develop a flinch then you will not be very accurate. +1 for a brake
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 4 Posts
    A WEIGHTED lead sled is probably the most efficient way known to shake the guts out of a scope. Keep the weight out of it and you'll be fine. If your rifle has excess recoil, weight the rifle with a composite stock, get a brake, or drop down in caliber.
    Northwest Precision makes a brake that comes highly recommended from a guy that has shot a multitude of different brands.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I also as someone mentioned above have a 300 win mag Browning with the Boss system. It is a brake but is also used to tune the barrel to help improve accuracy. I hate the thing! It is enough to shoot different bullets manufactures etc but to also have to tune the barrel is too much. Also the brake will make your fellow shooters hate you and when you are hunting and have to shoot without ear protection you will pay for it.