Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lightbulb Looking for a good place to take my returning soldier

My son recently was retired from the Army after being injured in Afghanistan and spending the last two years recovering. We've been buying points for the last three years waiting for him to be in a position to hunt. He has 3 points. All I've ever hunted has been on private land and I don't have the connection anymore. We were thinking of putting in for unit 73 because of the size of the unit and the amount of public land. We're not looking for a trophy, just an antelope. My brother has 3 pts. also. I want to go where we can hunt and where he'll draw. We're non-residents coming from Arizona. I'll probably try and do a scouting trip in the next few months. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 7 Posts
    Do you have any points? If not, are just your son and brother hunting or did you plan to apply as a party of three with 6 total points?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    With 3 points it would be hard to draw unit 73. Unless you apply in the special draw. I'd gladly help you with that unit though. I was just there in October and I have the map memorized haha.

Huge thanks to your son for his service!!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have only one pt so I will put in spate and if I don't draw, I'll focus on them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well, that's a bummer. Are there units that are easier to draw with public land available? Again, this is his first antelope hunt and we're looking for the fun, a trophy doesn't matter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So if I am reading between the lines, a special draw tag is out? If it is not, 73 should work for your son and bro. in the special draw as Cobb said earlier. Private land is not always a deal breaker, if you are willing and able to pay a fee or hunt HMA's or walk-in areas. Takes a bit of searching, or a tip from a member here who is familiar with an area. That said, of you are willing to hunt on a type 2 license, there are options I think. You have to check the restrictions if you go that way, as I understand they can come with limited area in the unit, date restrictions etc.

For example unit 76, 56% public, type two last year was 100% with two points. Some other high public land units with a type two are 77, 89, and 114, there may be several others too. I have zero experience in any of these and am not saying a type 2 will meet your needs. But I am looking for a similar area as you are, public with some speedy goats for my boys to chase about every other year. There are some very knowledgeable members here who may be able to offer more details, I won't be of much help until I finish looking at all the details. But I'd be happy to share with you what I find if you have not already gotten lined out.

The joker in the deck is no one knows for sure how many applicants will put in for 2015. That can cause a sure deal to be no tag, no way I know of to eliminate that risk. Usually it is a fairly low risk with low demand units/seasons.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Looks like most of the type 2's I listed are for within 1/2 mile of irrigated land. Good luck getting a goat to leave a green field. 46-2, which is checker boarded, and 89-2, both look like viable options. There probably are other better choices, but that is what I found with quick look at the WY web site. Circle back with Cobb if you can go with the special license for 73. I am pretty sure some of the more experienced members will offer you additional and probably better suggestions.

I hope your son continues to improve. He is a hero and has my thanks for his service and sacrifice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    There was a chance in unit 73 last year with 3 points. But it was very slim. I drew it with 4 points. But the # of 2015 applicants could swing it either way like Tim said above. I'd be glad to help if you draw that tag. I believe the only way you will draw it would be the special draw though.

The special draw for unit 73 was a 100% chance with only 2 points. 82.8% chance with between 1-2 points. Example: 1.5 points drew 82.8%.

Regular PP draw was 19% chance with 3 points.

So.....if you guys want to pony up the extra cash for the special draw, you stand a great chance of drawing as a party even with your 1 point.

Are there other option? Sure there will be. Just look around on this forum and you'll find plenty of chatter about other units. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision. If you have any other questions just ask too!!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 2 Posts
    What about Unit 48 in the special draw? 83% chance of drawing with 1 point. 100% draw under 2 points. If you have a total of 7 points between the 3 of you, you average out to 2.33 which likely pulls all of you the tag. I hunted 48 two years ago, and had a great time. Plenty of public land, but you do need a GPS chip for a large portion so you don't trespass. There are also two large HMAs (Hanna Draw and Simpson (I think)) that allow access - you just have to apply for it. Another plus is that the Miracle Mile of the Platte makes up the western border of the unit and has phenomenal shore fishing if you want / need a break from chasing goats. I'd be happy to share any info that you might want if you decide to go that direction.

Another question - if you are willing to pay double for a "special" tag, you may be able to pay about that same amount for a trespass fee on private land. Lots of units in eastern / northeastern WY that always have leftover tags. You can call the WY regional offices and get landowner lists that for landowners that will allow access - either free (not likely) or for a fee (more likely). If you find a landowner that doesn't charge an outrageous fee, you could go that route too for probably the same price. Just another option.

If neither of these (or others that people have brought up) work for you, there are hunts that you can draw with ~2 points in the regular draw, but it's going to take some research, you'll probably have to contend with private land, and the quality of the animals may suffer as well (often because many of them know where the private land is and camp out on it once the guns go off).

Thanks
    Congratulations

PM sent about what we worked out on our last two hunts.