Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

2 Preference points, want to hunt in the Cody area.

My family and I have 2 points for Antelope. We want to combine the hunt with some time in Cody to see the museums. I have been told area 82 has lots of bucks, but 13 inch is about tops. Heard that area 83 is worth waiting one more year for, 14 inchers are more likely. We have been able to scout and eventually get 13-14 inchers in Oregon, but we have a 10 year wait for any hope for another tag. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 58 Times in 9 Posts
    Draw a tag anywhere in the state for a unit that offers you what you want for antelope hunting, then go to Cody.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to go_deep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 2 Posts
    Last year, there was a lot of chatter about 82 and 83 being somewhat overrated. Still possible to get a decent animal, but you'll need to work for them. I agree with Go Deep though...just find a unit you like that you can draw, then go to Cody.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MWScott72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 4 Posts
    Cody is an awesome place, I hunted 80 a couple years ago and we all did good, haven't looked at draw odds lately but we did it with special tag.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lostriverproductions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 100 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MWScott72 View Post
    Last year, there was a lot of chatter about 82 and 83 being somewhat overrated. Still possible to get a decent animal, but you'll need to work for them. I agree with Go Deep though...just find a unit you like that you can draw, then go to Cody.
    I'll third that. My son and I had Wyoming antelope tags a few years back that followed and elk hunt he drew. The elk hunt look longer than we had planned so we pulled into a new unit near Rock Springs late one morning and had two nice bucks, including one of my best ever, by that afternoon. Unless you are hunting for a top end buck you can usually get it done in a couple days in a good unit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by flyndblu View Post
    My family and I have 2 points for Antelope. We want to combine the hunt with some time in Cody to see the museums. I have been told area 82 has lots of bucks, but 13 inch is about tops. Heard that area 83 is worth waiting one more year for, 14 inchers are more likely. We have been able to scout and eventually get 13-14 inchers in Oregon, but we have a 10 year wait for any hope for another tag. Any ideas?
    I had hunted unit 78 last fall and me and a buddy both tagged out on the first day with 14 inchers. We drew it with 3 points and its right next to Cody. We then went into the mountains and fished the rest of the week. So if you want to wait another year I'm sure you would a have a great hunt in 78

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks, we are looking at the Cody area for two reasons, not so many years to get a tag and the chance to see Cody. I looked at the Rock Springs area and it looks like it takes quite a few years to get a tag. I am not a spring chicken so want to go while I still get around pretty good.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Consider paying the $$ for the special antelope tag, I think it's $520 vs. $320 something along those lines. tack on those extra years of Bonus points $30/year, if 2 years sooner that brings the regular tag up to $380, just something to consider.

Best of luck!

lots of good/great antelope options in WY!

any of the green/blue chip WY units should provide you with a good antelope hunt in WY.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HuskyMusky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

Your information is spot on. I hunted 82 a couple of years ago lots of 12" bucks with a few 13"ers.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to wyominglawdog For This Useful Post: