Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 3 Posts

Enough bow for a bear

This spring will be my first black bear hunt here in MT and I would really like to attempt to take one with my bow. This brought up a question- how much bow do I need? I shoot a older PSE Bruin with 100gr Muzzies at about 60-65 lbs. Should I look at getting a heavier broadhead or upping the poundage?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 3 Posts
    The Wyoming regs. say minimum of 40 pounds for archery black bear. I am not an archery expert, but changing the poundage seems to change the way you shoot, so that might be my last option to consider, especially with not a whole lot of practice time for the spring hunt. 60 to 65 should be plenty of pounds I think, and even with a lot of let off its a little easier to hold for a long time than 70#. Just my thoughts on it, hopefully helps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 34 Times in 3 Posts
    I have shot clear through a bear with 60 lbs. and 100 gr. Montecs. Keep your shots close and good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eastmont View Post
    This spring will be my first black bear hunt here in MT and I would really like to attempt to take one with my bow. This brought up a question- how much bow do I need? I shoot a older PSE Bruin with 100gr Muzzies at about 60-65 lbs. Should I look at getting a heavier broadhead or upping the poundage?
    I shoot a 47 lb. bow with a 100 grain 4 blade magnus stinger and 100 grain brass inserts to total 420 grain carbon arrow (pretty heavy arrow with majority of the weight forward). My trajectory is not as forgiving, but definitely flies great, like a dart. I think I shoot right around 220-230 fps last time I checked. I've had complete pass thrus on a 200 lb black bear (pretty small) at 15 yards, and complete pass thru on elk at 15 yards. Hope that helps some. My husband is the brains behind my set up.

I've struggled with this over many years. I always thought I needed to pull more weight to be effective. I've had to learn the hard way......in a couple of hunting scenarios I wasn't able to pull my bow back. Not good. So, I now have it where its the most comfortable but sufficient to get the job done.

sounds like you have plenty of bow and arrow, just figure what allows you to shoot the best. Good luck!
    Last edited by Demi; 02-27-2015 at 07:44 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Demi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 5 Posts
    Put it in the spot and it will kill it just as dead as a 110# bow! Have fun!
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    TT Xtreme FC Pro
    Custom Black Gold Ascent 4 pin
    GT Velocity 300's tipped with 125 Shuttle t's weighing 490 grains!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 7 Posts
    No need to change anything, you'll be just fine with this setup.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Agree with above posts, you have a good set up and a double lung hit will do the job very quickly. I have used Muzzy broadheads on all my bear hunts. Good Luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have killed three bear in Michigan using 100 gr Muzzies and same draw weight, sounds to me like you have the perfect setup.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 53 Times in 8 Posts
    Your set up will work fine. Shoot what your used to. Hunters have been killing bears with set ups like yours for years. Shot placement is important as always. Good luck, have a blast!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 4 Posts

You're good to go. Best of luck on your hunt.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.