They give you a form. You take it to your eye doctor to fill out. Then the doctor and the DOW decide if you need a special licence. Mine was a dead bang easy decision, but I still won't use it.

I was told by a few hunters in my area that if they saw a hunter in ML season with a scope they'd turn them in to the warden. I didn't want the hassle, and I didn't want to use it if the hunters felt that way.

If I can get an elk in rifle season with a sidelock and iron sights while they use a scoped rifle. You know i'll rub it in.