Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Bino adapter for tripod?

What do you guys use for adapting your binoculars to your tripod? Do you buy a special adapter or just rig something up? I keep reading about how much better you can glass while using a tripod and figure I need to start doing that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    I LOVE glassing with my binocular on a tripod. My preference is for one of the type that has a stud that you can leave on your binocular.

The most refined is the Outdoorsmans system, but it is quite expensive.

I had good luck with the Vortex Unidapter.

Lately though, I have been using the simple, inexpensive Field Optics Research Rapid-Release tripod adapter:

http://www.fieldopticsresearch.com/s...r-sku-A001.htm

Of course, this requires a 1/4 threaded socket on the binocular which not all models have.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I like the Outdoorsmans model. While yes, it is a bit pricey, I think they've thought out all the pieces of "tripodding" binoculars. When off the tripod, the only thing still connected to your binos is a small stud, meaning they can go back into your bino carrier, on your chest, pretty much anywhere without having to deal with a big pointy lug or base. But in the end, it's all about your application and what you want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jcharette08 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the Vortex uni-daptor system on my Minox bino's. What I found was it took a bit to get it to stay level, so if you get one, make sure to have the bino adjusted for your eye width, then do the final tightening of the unit on your bino's. Once I got that, it works fine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim McCoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I made one myself out of a short piece of galvanized angle iron I cut to shape, a screw, a wing nut and a couple lock washers. The reason was that I set my binocular barrels pretty close together and only a small arm will fit between.

The screw goes into the threaded hole between the barrels and holds one arm of the angle iron to the binoculars. The wing nut fastens the other arm to the tripod head screw.

I had an extra quick release plate for my tripod head so I just change it out. I keep the angle iron on the quick release plate, not on the binoculars, so I have to screw it to the binoculars when I want to use it on my tripod. Doesn't take long.

It's pretty redneck, but I prefer the word, "custom." No duct tape is involved. You can't get any cheaper and it works fine for me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hoshour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Jim White from Coueswhitetail dot com. My 12x50's fit fine in a KUIU harness so I leave the adapter plate on them all the time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WapitiBob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    [QUOTE=WapitiBob;134512]Jim White from Coueswhitetail dot com. My 12x50's fit fine in a KUIU harness so I leave the adapter plate on them all the time.

Pretty slick. I might have to check that out, though I hate to give up custom craftsmanship. It's a point of pride.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    [QUOTE=WapitiBob;134512]Jim White from Coueswhitetail dot com. My 12x50's fit fine in a KUIU harness so I leave the adapter plate on them all the time.

Pretty slick. I might have to check that out, though I hate to give up custom craftsmanship. It's a point of pride.

Here's the link for the coueswhitetail site http://store.coueswhitetail.com/binocular-adapters/

Thanks
    Congratulations
    [QUOTE=hoshour;134515]
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    Jim White from Coueswhitetail dot com. My 12x50's fit fine in a KUIU harness so I leave the adapter plate on them all the time.

Here's the link for the coueswhitetail site http://store.coueswhitetail.com/binocular-adapters/
    Appears identical to the Vortex uni-Daptor, packaging looks the same too. Bet they just sell Jim Whites product under their brand.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post

I like the Jim White/Vortex Unidapter also, but the part you leave on your binocular is still much larger than the stud used on the Field Optics model I linked above.
    Last edited by Bitterroot Bulls; 02-10-2015 at 03:46 PM.