Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Leupold Warranty on Binoculars

Around 10 years ago I purchased a set of Leupold Pinnacle 10x50 Boone and Crockett edition.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Pinnacles.html

They were the best optics I had ever used and have been my go to pair ever since. I had one issue with eye caps about 6 years ago and they sent me a new set of caps at no charge.

Last season I started noticing the center hinge was getting a bit loose. Sometimes I would need to move the hinge a bit to get a good view and it really became a problem. I finally decided to send them in a couple of weeks ago and am curious to see if they repair or replace. And if they replace I am curious what I end up with as the pinnacle line is no longer made. https://www.leupold.com/binoculars/r...ulars/products

I'm thinking if they replace I will end up with the Tioga 10x50 (most likely) or the pro guide 10x50 (less likely)

Anyone had an experience with binoculars sent in for repairs at Leupold? Did they replace? If so was it similar, better, worse, etc?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    My guess would be they will tighten the hinge, give them a good leaning and send them back at no charge. Adjusting the hinge tension can easily be performed at home with a couple simple tools.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by packer58 View Post
    My guess would be they will tighten the hinge, give them a good leaning and send them back at no charge. Adjusting the hinge tension can easily be performed at home with a couple simple tools.
    I hope it is that simple and that I get those back since they are discontinued. It was not so much the tension on the hinge but play that had developed from the center pin which allowed to 2 barrels to be out of alignment if not held straight. I did not tear into it to see exactly what the hinge looks like but my guess was a plastic bushing inside had worn/failed over the years of abuse that allowed a little bit of wiggle in the hinge.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Ok, gotcha. That sounds like a different issue other than hinge tension.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 34 Posts
    I would specify on the form you fill out when you send it in that you would like repair and not replacement. They tend to just send the newest model to replace vice fix.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    I would specify on the form you fill out when you send it in that you would like repair and not replacement. They tend to just send the newest model to replace vice fix.
    I planned to do that, but the rubber on the outside of the binoculars was starting to show some age and developed hundreds of small cracks so I decided to check the box. I may regret it.

If I get my old ones back, that's cool, even with the rubber showing some age. The are good but not great optics and will certainly still work fine until they become the pair I keep in the truck.

If they choose to replace then it comes down to what I would get. I paid just under $400 10 years ago and the pinnacle line is discontinued. It appears there are 2 options. One being the Tioga HD which currently sells for around $350 +/- or the Guide HD which sells for around $550 +/-.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 164 Times in 37 Posts
    Better send them in now if you want to have them back before deer season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 157 Times in 38 Posts
    The pair that I sent in for repair were returned in less than 3 weeks. I also sent a scope into them to have it modified so that I could place a CDS dial onto it and it was back in 2 weeks.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 164 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    The pair that I sent in for repair were returned in less than 3 weeks. I also sent a scope into them to have it modified so that I could place a CDS dial onto it and it was back in 2 weeks.
    You got a connection there?! lol

Thanks
    Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by mallardsx2 View Post
    Better send them in now if you want to have them back before deer season.
    I sent them in at the beginning of the month and on the 5th I received an e-mail saying it would be done in 25 days.

I have also heard of some long turnaround times at Leupold. Hopefully that won't be the case.

My biggest concern is that they are going to replace it with a lesser model. From what I can tell the Pinnacle was equivalent to the BX-3 line which has also been discontinued. So I will likely end up with a BX-2 or BX-4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast