Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wisconsin Bownters unite

The season has been set and no changes in the season were adjusted. Way to come together bowhunters!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 717 Times in 122 Posts
    That’s great. Unity is hard to come by these days.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 83 Times in 31 Posts
    Yes, there is no move and no action to make any changes to the sport of bowhunting in Wisconsin. Other weapons types and seasons are slated for change but thanks to the unity of the Wisconsin Bowhunters, the WI archery deer season will not be changing. This is no doubt due to the fact that we worked diligently to make sure the WI archery deer season stayed as a human powered weapons season meaning that those that buy an archery deer hunting license in WI must use archery gear (a human powered bow and arrow that has to be drawn only with human effort and must be held back only with human effort at the time of the attempt on game)

Recently We worked to create a crossbows season in WI that is completely separate of the archery deer season. The separate crossbow season means that sort has to buy the crossbow deer hunting license and has to register their kills as crossbow kills. The crossbow season did not have a final and set season duration and enjoyed a temporary season length until a few years passed to allow game managers to assess the usage and success rate of the crossbower and the impacts on the resource. That trial period has passed and it was discovered that not only did the crossbower have a higher success (kill per license sold) rate than bowhunters but the state discovered that the crossbower enjoyed a higher success rate than even gun deer hunters.

Now the state is entering the process of finally setting the season duration for the separate crossbow season. It will ultimately be shorter than the archery deer season but still long enough to allow crossbowers to enjoy the fall woods. The process seems to be advancing nicely.
    staysharpguide.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 6 Posts
    It would have been nice to see Illinois go this route. In IL, a crossbow is considered archery equipment and can be used the entire season that runs from Oct 1 - mid January.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That is a shame. We worked diligently in WI to structure to have total separation between real bowhutning (the WI archery deer season) and the sport of crossbow hunting. WI is one of the few states to do this so we could accurately capture the usage and success rates of the two different weapons. States that made the mistake of lumping the crossbower under the archery deer tag, lost the ability to capture harvest stats. We worked on this here in WI since 2012. Its paying dividends now.
    staysharpguide.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    That’s great. Unity is hard to come by these days.
    Indeed. You don't see enough of it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Due to all the hunting pressure deer receive in Wisconsin, I think the best way for Wisconsin to handle crossbows would be to create a crossbow/gun tag that lets people hunt bucks with their crossbows during bow season and bucks with guns during gun season. While they're at it they should eliminate group hunting for bucks. This would help decrease some of the hunting pressure and allow some bucks to reach an older age class. 65% of our bucks harvested last year were yearlings, the next closest states were around 50%. If Wisconsin could just get to the national average of 35%, the whitetail hunting here would be insanely good.

And if you think 1,000 antelope tags in a unit in Wyoming on opening weekend is a zoo - you should see 600,000 gun hunters on opening weekend in Wisconsin - it's a nut house inside a circus inside a zoo.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 5 Posts
    Problem will be the politicians.

States that battle the crossbow issues keep them out until it gets political.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    WI has it structured perfectly. An archery deer season and a soon to be reduced crossbow deer season. Separate season, separate license, separate registration.
    staysharpguide.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

It is more important all hunters unite in this day and age. Bowhunting is my preference. I have crossbow hunt, I muzzy hunt, I rifle hunt. I travel out of state a bunch for many reasons, one being to escape WI pressure so I can see more mature bucks during DAYLIGHT hours. We have more mature bucks than one would think as game cameras show it... they are just very nocturnal. Being selfish I would institute buck harvest to 1 per year, implement QDM areas, limit pressure on state land by having draw tags, eliminate baiting, etc. However, I have become much less selfish as I mature and look far into the future. Now I could care less if someone uses a bow or crossbow or shoots a yearling buck, etc. I am happy for whatever they are happy with. A crossbow is much easier to sight in and use no doubt. Are avg Joe crossbow hunters more accurate and successful in recovering deer than if they would use a bow? All hunters should unite for the sport of hunting imo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast