Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 163 Times in 76 Posts

Commisssioner's, Auction, and Specialty Tags Official Discussion Forum

Due to the high volume of discussion surrounding these high dollar tags I thought I would open up an official place to discuss them in depth. If we need to break this down by state I will do that, but for now, here you go.

**Keep this civil, the discussion must stay healthy. No name calling, or you said this, you said that stuff. If I want that I will go watch Jerry Springer reruns.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 89 Times in 25 Posts

Commisssioner's, Auction, and Specialty Tags Official Discussion Forum

As everyone knows, it's just hunting prostitution. Outfitters loves these tags for business, DIYers generally hate them since they go against our north american model of wildlife conservation. Just as some frequenters of prostitutes like them available, others don't. Pretty much that simple. I myself really like my wife, and am not in favor of whores. It's really ugly what Utah has become.
    Last edited by Zim; 04-03-2018 at 02:00 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 11 Posts
    Way to start that out with a bang Zim!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 11 Posts
    On paper, I really like the idea of generating huge amounts of revenue by auctioning off a few tags. In reality, though, I see it's just the beginning of a slippery slope where a few tags become 100. Then it becomes a pay to play situation, which I am 100% against. How do you guys feel about raffle tags?
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 97 Times in 16 Posts
    Raffle tags are in a different category in my opinion. Anyone can afford to buy into most of the state raffles, and in most cases are cheaper than buying points. Sure, they come with astronomical draw odds, but for a guy without any or many points the odds are often worse. I don't like where some of these tags allow you to hunt anywhere, anytime, as that can put too much pressure in one area. I believe that the state could designate a different unit(s) each year, and by doing so not terribly affect the raffle sales, or screw over the guy with 20+ years of points who finally drew a tag in a coveted area.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 165 Times in 38 Posts
    I myself have not personally tried a prostitute so I really cant decide what end of the spectrum I am on as of right now.
    If these tags are indeed like prostitutes, and are perfectly legal, and I had the money to blow on them, and I really wanted one, I might try them.

Since i'm broke because of swarovski binoculars and the regular prices of non-resident tags and license fees are rising so high, I guess I'll pass on getting a governor/auction tag.

If I had Donald Trump money I might just buy a tag though.

One second though, no I wouldn't I'm too cheap.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't know the in's and out's or much at all about most of this stuff, but I thought it should be mentioned that the auctions also can be a big help local organizations. That commissioner's tag auction is huge for the Lovell baseball team. I don't know how much they will get for it, but I remember cleaning out maggoty pig stalls after the fair as a baseball fundraiser for a heck of a lot less.
    Last edited by Billybob; 04-04-2018 at 08:36 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RICMIC View Post
    Raffle tags are in a different category in my opinion. Anyone can afford to buy into most of the state raffles, and in most cases are cheaper than buying points. Sure, they come with astronomical draw odds, but for a guy without any or many points the odds are often worse. I don't like where some of these tags allow you to hunt anywhere, anytime, as that can put too much pressure in one area. I believe that the state could designate a different unit(s) each year, and by doing so not terribly affect the raffle sales, or screw over the guy with 20+ years of points who finally drew a tag in a coveted area.
    I agree on raffles. Anyone can buy a chance for a few bucks. Everyone has a chance. Nobody is guaranteed anything.

I wonder if the deep pocket guys would still throw down 100k+ for conservation if they were not guaranteed a tag in the raffle.

At the rate we are going the state will photograph and estimate the inches of horn on trophy animals. Then list the Sheep, Elk, etc on WildlifeauctionUSA and sell to the highest internet bidder. Issue a tag for one specific animal.

That's really not much different than showing pics of a huge sheep at the Montana sheep tag auction and selling a tag to the highest bidder. when you think about it our tag system is looking more like livestock auctions every year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 6 Posts
    depending on the tag/species/

I could see 1 raffle tag and 1 auction tag, past that it seems like the average Joe is losing opportunity.

and I think a raffle tag should include the price of the tag! or worst case allow the winner to pay the resident tag fee.

thinking logically, aside from revolt, if generating $$ is the end all be all, then why wouldn't they simply make everyone pay the non-res fees for all tags? they could reduce hunting pressure dramatically and increase revenue, win-win for the rich. or simply auction all the tags to whoever?

it may sound ludicrous but is that the direction we're heading?

it's another reason for the most part if I draw a long term tag I plan to quit re-applying for that tag, quit while ahead I think.
    Last edited by HuskyMusky; 04-03-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 11 Posts

My thought on the raffle tag is that everyone with $10 has a shot, but it still favors the guy who can afford 1,000 tickets. Who's been to a DU or NWTF or RMEF banquet, and watched the same table of wealthy show-offs buying hundreds of tickets and winning half the prizes? Personally, I'm against any program that takes tags out of the common pool.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast