Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CO Unit 49 elk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

CO Unit 49 elk

I am looking for information on Colorado unit 49. I will have a first season elk tag this year. I have never hunted this unit before. would take any information on where to hunt in the unit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 34 Posts
    Welcome to Eastmans' forum. Recommend you pull up a log and stay awhile around the fire. Head on over to the new members section for an intro. Contribute to posts when able and I'm sure someone will come along to help out with GMU49.

Begin your research with the Co Hunting Atlas online. Great info when venturing into a new area. Welcome.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 172 Times in 9 Posts
    Get up high and stay high until you find/year the elk. Quality in this unit is not what it was 10 years ago, not even close. It has gone way downhill. Stick to the northern half of the unit

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CODAK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I always get a kick out of these posts. It's very interesting seeing how people approach this.

Some like to give some background on what they are doing.

Others explain the research they have done.

And others just ask for info, which seem to be the least productive method.

Some time doing an introduction, explaining who you are, why you hunt. What research you have done. Exactly what info you are looking for. Etc seems to get better results.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HighPlainsHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Well I am looking at building points for either that unit or a select few others, so if you stick around on the forum for a while, Id be curious to see how your hunt went.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have talked with the Biologist for the unit as well studied the game and fish hunting atlas. I am looking for help from anyone who has hunted the area or knows it. looking for help on which roads or trails to use to hunt. I am a DIY hunter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Like slugs said, I would go look for the new members section and tell everyone about yourself. If you get to know people a bit, it gets easier to ask for help on hunting spots.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by IEATELK View Post
    I have talked with the Biologist for the unit as well studied the game and fish hunting atlas. I am looking for help from anyone who has hunted the area or knows it. looking for help on which roads or trails to use to hunt. I am a DIY hunter.
    Let me give you a suggestion.

For example if you have talked to a biologist say " I spoke to the biologist and he/she indicated-
    There was a significant winter kill 3 years ago so the numbers are just recovering. Any locals notice the numbers rebounding the last couple of years?
    The roads get traveled pretty heavily and they suggested the XXXXXX part of the unit to get away from crowds. I noticed XXXXX campground on the map while doing research, anyone ever camp there? Other places you would suggest?
    That the weather can move the animals in/out of certain areas in the unit. Anyone ever hunt early/late and run into this issue? How are the roads when it rains/snow/freeze?

Another might be
    Does anyone have a meat processor/hotel/bar/restaurant they would recommend in the XXXXXXX area?

I think you will find that doing a proper introduction and asking specific questions will get more responses.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 172 Times in 9 Posts
    Bowrunner don’t waste your points here. Trust me, not worth the wait. They give out too many tags and elk numbers are not near what they used to be. Ratios are bad and bull quality is not there. I’ve hunted there several times without a tag in my pocket

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 64 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CODAK View Post
    Bowrunner don’t waste your points here. Trust me, not worth the wait. They give out too many tags and elk numbers are not near what they used to be. Ratios are bad and bull quality is not there. I’ve hunted there several times without a tag in my pocket
    Isn't that called poaching?

I can picture Leslie Nielsen in Airplane - " Nothing to see here, move along..." I think you might protest too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast