Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoked turkey

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cool Smoked turkey

I have relatives coming in to town soon.Fourteen Lb. turkey in freezer.I have smoked many things,duck,chicken etc.
    Having reservations about smoking something that large over lump charcoal/hickory smoke.Any ideas or "can't go wrong" ways to pull this off?Thanks dirtclod Az.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 260 Times in 40 Posts
    Something that large I'd go with 4-6 hours of warm smoke (120-130 degree's), then straight into the oven for the finishing temp.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtclod Az. View Post
    I have relatives coming in to town soon.Fourteen Lb. turkey in freezer.I have smoked many things,duck,chicken etc.
    Having reservations about smoking something that large over lump charcoal/hickory smoke.Any ideas or "can't go wrong" ways to pull this off?Thanks dirtclod Az.
    Do a little research on the web regarding the danger zone while smoking poultry, unhealthy bacteria love warm moist environments such as smokers that operate at low temps. If i remember right, it is recommended that you should get the internal temp of the bird above 143* within 4 hours to prevent bacteria growth. Also at low and slow smoker temps you should keep your bird size down around 12 lbs so you can get the internal temp up within a reasonable time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 260 Times in 40 Posts
    Not an issue if you do the proper salt cure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 11 Posts
    Lots of smoke for a couple hours, then finish with heat in the oven. When I smoke turkeys, the hip joints are still pink when the breast meat is perfectly done but still juicy.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 78 Times in 22 Posts
    Good brine and internal temp to 165 and your gold. Smoke 225 to 250 for an hour thenbturn smoker up to 325 or 350 to finish. I wouldn't use hickory but apple or pecan would be good and not so heavy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    godeep do you mean brining or a salt cure(pink)like I use to make sausage?
    nv-hunter your probably right about hickory being a little heavy.Here in Az. I keep mesquite/hickory on handmI'll check into apple.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 78 Times in 22 Posts
    For a true smoked turkey it would be a true pink salt type cure with it being pumped into the bird. For a fast turn around a brine will work and smoke either way about 3 to 4 hours and cook to 165. Thats what we did at the butcher shop.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by go_deep View Post
    Not an issue if you do the proper salt cure.
    That would be my advice for smoking a fresh unprocessed bird. Processed birds (not fresh or fresh frozen) are usually injected with a salt type brine to enhance moisture retention during the cooking process, if the OP is unaware and salt brine's a processed bird (say a butter ball for instance) for safety reasons his hard work will be literally uneatable do to the excessive salt. iv'e smoked many turkeys with my favorite citrus brine and all have been awesome. Just my 2 cents

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 34 Posts

I do this every Thanksgiving.

I've done it on large smokers...Weber grills offset cooking.....gas stoves offset cooking. They all work well and come out great.

Start with oak/hickory mix then finish with cherry. Monitor the temp.....baste in its own juices mixed with butter.

Put some stuffing the last few hours in a tin foil covered pan next to it. The take off the tin foil after a few hours to crust up the top of the stuffing.

If you go the brine route then utilize orange based and add some honey into the baste of juices and butter.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast