Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 27 Posts

Elk - Plateau Fishlake/Thousand Lakes Late Hunt

Am seriously looking at this hunt. 11/10-18. Planning to bring my son and two grandkids who will be 8 and 9. Looking for high success, ease of access, and a branch bull would be fine. If the kids can watch Papa drop a nice 5x5 that would fill the bill. More about their experience than the bull, but do want to bring some meat home. So want to avoid extreme terrain. I've driven near the unit but not set foot there. We'll only make one trip there to hunt and will probably start opening day given the very low tag numbers and 9 day season. Essentially scout/hunt a few days during the season rather than show up early to just scout before opening day and have fewer days to hunt. Might just find one "scouting", if so it's nice to be able to shoot... The hope is to find some down low on or near the winter range to make spotting them easier for the kids.

Interested in suggestions of where to get a motel for best unit access, etc. We can set up a wall tent if that's best. Would also appreciate any suggestions, different units if you think there are better options for 17 points, or other insight anyone can offer. Please PM any specific details, general suggestions are fine to post publicly, IMO anyway. Thank you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 3 Posts
    Do you have a lot of preference points? If you don't you probably won't draw it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Micah S For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    17. You may have missed that above. ��

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am not too familiar with area west of fish lake itself, but I would say if you drive around and glass a bunch you should be able to find elk. With not hiking a lot, I would stay away from thousand lakes mountain itself unless you locate elk from below. I have hunted cows on thousand lake several times but we hike 1 to 3 miles to get to them.

Hogan Pass area North of Foreyth Res has a decent area hunt-able by car but the cow and spike hunter are in there heavy depending on hunt you draw. A friend killed a 5x5 late winter hunt rifle about 5 years ago. Was a white out for most of his hunt. Without running any camera or scouting, I would say a 5x5 would be doable but its going to take some luck and time behind a scope. Bull was at 9,000ft still.

Last year Thousand lakes was in the 70% range for any weapon which is one of the lower % limited units.

The September hunt, he not have been guaranteed a tag year. For Oct and Nov, he would have be highest point holder.

If you are not already looking here are your odds:
    https://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/bi...dds_report.pdf

Here are harvest reports:
    https://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/bi...le_oial_hr.pdf

6. The Following User Says Thank You to elktaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by elktaker View Post
    I am not too familiar with area west of fish lake itself, but I would say if you drive around and glass a bunch you should be able to find elk. With not hiking a lot, I would stay away from thousand lakes mountain itself unless you locate elk from below. I have hunted cows on thousand lake several times but we hike 1 to 3 miles to get to them.

Hogan Pass area North of Foreyth Res has a decent area hunt-able by car but the cow and spike hunter are in there heavy depending on hunt you draw. A friend killed a 5x5 late winter hunt rifle about 5 years ago. Was a white out for most of his hunt. Without running any camera or scouting, I would say a 5x5 would be doable but its going to take some luck and time behind a scope. Bull was at 9,000ft still.

Last year Thousand lakes was in the 70% range for any weapon which is one of the lower % limited units.

The September hunt, he not have been guaranteed a tag year. For Oct and Nov, he would have be highest point holder.

If you are not already looking here are your odds:
    https://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/bi...dds_report.pdf
    Ht
    Here are harvest reports:
    https://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/bi...le_oial_hr.pdf
    Appreciate the info. Looking at the late hunt. Thank you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Probably considered one of the lower quality bull unit but lots of elk.

I killed my first elk on my first day elk hunting on that unit during a spike hunt which rates it higher for me. Decent fishing if the lakes are still open so bring some rods for kids.

Good luck in the draw!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to elktaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good idea. But if I bring poles along, and they know I have them, they won't let me hunt... Not worried about quality, but the lots of elk sounds good. Appreciate the info.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 96 Times in 24 Posts
    If ya do draw it,let me know,,ill talk w ya on what I got into during the antelope hunt last year in plateau

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ore hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ore hunter View Post
    If ya do draw it,let me know,,ill talk w ya on what I got into during the antelope hunt last year in plateau
    Will do. Thank you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 312 Times in 46 Posts

I'll PM you tonight

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gonhunting247 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast