Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Congratulations
    4
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Custom Action For Lefty

    I am thinking of possibly dabbling in building a custom rifle. I seen Remington makes left handed actions but does anyone else make left handed actions? Or what other options would I have?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    793
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 278 Times in 179 Posts
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 162 Times in 36 Posts
    Browning A-bolt

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dolores, Colorado
    Posts
    5,093
    Thanks
    1,340
    Thanked 1,969 Times in 1,125 Posts
    Congratulations
    265
    Congratulated 314 Times in 86 Posts
    I shoot lefty and know your problem. Back in the early 50's there just were no left handed actions. I tried semi autos, levers and slides and none fit the bill for me.

    Savage M110 was available in LH, you might look for one of those to use as a donor, they are a good action. For me, I just adapted and have shot RH bolts. Good luck.

    I just googled "left handed bolt actions" and found quite a few.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 02-09-2018 at 07:38 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Congratulations
    4
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    For me, I just adapted and have shot RH bolts. Good luck.
    I am leaning towards just doing this I have shot right handed rifles my whole life before I bought my Tikka and Ruger American Predator in LH. Suppose I could just go that route. I do have quiet a hankering for one of those Bergara rifles.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Northern North East US ...not a masshole !
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    The rem 700 is a great action and is copied by many and is the foundation for many customs. The nice thing is is that most gunsmith students use these for project rifles because they tend to have more aftermarket parts ad enhancement available than any other action. If your building one yourself its hard to beat them. I agree also that the Savage is a strong contender. As a rifle nut, what will this rifle be used for and what caliber, barrel , stock and trigger will the use dictate your choice ?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Congratulations
    4
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 280ackimp View Post
    The rem 700 is a great action and is copied by many and is the foundation for many customs. The nice thing is is that most gunsmith students use these for project rifles because they tend to have more aftermarket parts ad enhancement available than any other action. If your building one yourself its hard to beat them. I agree also that the Savage is a strong contender. As a rifle nut, what will this rifle be used for and what caliber, barrel , stock and trigger will the use dictate your choice ?
    This is 100% a hunting rifle. I am leaning towards .300 win but a .280AI I have heard is an amazing round. I currently have a 30-06 and 6.5 CM. I am new to the idea of a custom so not sure on what other parts but I would likely get a nice trigger like a Timney.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Northern North East US ...not a masshole !
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    NDguy,
    Now I get to brag a little. I have built several 280AI long before SAMMI standards were established. Several rifles on the 700 actions, I am a big fan of the round and believe that it is one of the most versatile rounds ever developed on a standard action without magnum recoil !
    One of my favorite rifles in this caliber is based on a 700 action in a McMillan hunter stock and a reworked Rem trigger. It does have a heavier sport weight barrel. RW Hart did the work.

    I would be more than happy to share what I have learned if you are interested.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sandy Oregon
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 7 Times in 3 Posts
    You could buy a Surgeon, Stiller or Defiant action for a couple of hundred more. You will have a far nicer rifle with a custom action.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Congratulations
    4
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 280ackimp View Post
    NDguy,
    Now I get to brag a little. I have built several 280AI long before SAMMI standards were established. Several rifles on the 700 actions, I am a big fan of the round and believe that it is one of the most versatile rounds ever developed on a standard action without magnum recoil !
    One of my favorite rifles in this caliber is based on a 700 action in a McMillan hunter stock and a reworked Rem trigger. It does have a heavier sport weight barrel. RW Hart did the work.

    I would be more than happy to share what I have learned if you are interested.
    Send me some detailed info thanks!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Northern North East US ...not a masshole !
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

    I sent you a PM

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •