Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts

Options for Taxidermist Problems

So I wanted to get some opinions on my options for an issue I am having with a taxidermist in WY. I live in AL and came out in October of 2016 and was able to tag an antelope. Dropped it off with a taxidermist in the Casper area and paid half down for the deposit which is pretty standard.

I still don't have my antelope mount, and have not been able to get in touch with the taxidermist since the last week of November. I have called at least 4 times since the end of November with voicemails and no return calls. Honestly I wouldn't call that much if I just knew what was going on or and estimated date at this point.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 71 Times in 16 Posts
    I've had to wait for 2 years to get a mount back from a well established, and well respected taxi before.
    pm sent

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    I have waited two years as well for a caribou mount, but the taxi always answered the phone or called back. Once he let me know he had shoulder surgery and it would probably be done by x date, I left him alone for well over a year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 147 Times in 34 Posts
    I think that two years is way excessive unless the taxidermist is having health problems and would never accept that long of a turn over. My brother in law had a bull elk done and it took close to two years and there were problems with the mount, it looked like a first year taxidermist did it, that long it should be perfect.

I just dropped off my coues deer to have a mount done at the end of December and they said it would be 8 months out which is about right. I have also had mounts done in less than 5 months, it all depends.

It is too bad that the one that you are using isn't returning phone calls, that goes to show what he thinks of customers.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 500 Times in 66 Posts
    Let us know what taxidermist and the town. Maybe a forum member could drop in a ask in person? I have heard some horror stories through the years with fire, theft, and taxidermists going out of business. I personally experienced one that went out of business. I was having two 6lb trout mounted together. Paid a deposit and never heard from the guy again. The locals said he packed up shop and disappeared. His business is closed and I never got got my money or the fish back.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 27 Posts
    What Hilltop said... Had a similar issue in Olympia some years back.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 86 Times in 17 Posts
    Bogus deal. With as many WY members as there are someone local can probably help out.

It only takes a couple weeks-month to mount a deer/antelope. All the other wait time is just your animal sitting in a box or freezer. My buddy started doing deer for family and friends and I have gotten to see the process first hand. When a taxi quotes a 12, 18, or 24 month turnaround that just means he/she has that much work to finish that is in line boefore yours.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to johnsd16 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 143 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsd16 View Post
    Bogus deal. With as many WY members as there are someone local can probably help out.

It only takes a couple weeks-month to mount a deer/antelope. All the other wait time is just your animal sitting in a box or freezer. My buddy started doing deer for family and friends and I have gotten to see the process first hand. When a taxi quotes a 12, 18, or 24 month turnaround that just means he/she has that much work to finish that is in line boefore yours.
    While I agree that the OP has waited too long for his mount and something is definitely fishy that he cannot get a hold of him, this statement is not completely accurate. The actual mounting process does take a couple weeks with dry time and finishing, however most taxidermists send capes/hides out to be tanned and that process can take months depending on who they use. I was just quoted 8 months from a local tannery to turn my elk cape around. I won't be using them but there is more to the process than just the actual mount.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In my experience I've never had to wait longer then a year to get a mount back. Now all mine are standard shoulder mounts, nothing fancy. But this seems a bit off. I wish you luck and hope you get some answers soon as well as your mount.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,158 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 713 Times in 120 Posts

One year is pretty standard for you to get a mount done. Pretty frustrating that he doesn’t call you back tho.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast