Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Elk Hunting Wyoming Horseback

Hello to all,

I am searching for the best area to hunt in Wyoming with the best horse access. Would be looking to be somewhere in the Shirley Basin if possible, maybe the Big Horns. I am originally from Wyoming but has been 14 years since been back, looking to take my girlfriend and horses for a week or so to camp and enjoy the hunt. I am not looking to kill a monster just a nice bull would be nice. Another question that I have is can you buy bull tags over the counter or is that cow tags I remember one or the other not sure which one. Anyone that might have some help would be great, the deadline for out of state tags is a week away.

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 135 Times in 19 Posts
    No. you cannot buy OTC bull tags or cow tags for that matter unless after the draws there is leftover. You will probably want to do some research on the wyoming game and fish website about these things if you plan on hunting here again. You will need to draw an elk tag for the region you want to hunt, and without preference points, there is a very small chance you will draw bull tags this year. The game and fish website can answer a lot of your questions.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Plenty of areas in the Bighorns for horseback hunting. Better have at least 8 points to draw most of the tags in the Bighorns. Also, archery or rifle?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 71 Times in 6 Posts
    Maybe you should be looking at Colorado as there you can buy license over the counter for 2nd and 3rd season.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,155 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 713 Times in 120 Posts
    Welcome to the forum

Head over to the new members section and give a intro. Good luck on your research
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

36 in the big horns is a good horse back area and has wilderness you would need a guide or resident but you can also hunt off wilderness and be in good elk as well, 36 is a general over the counter for residents and the last time i looked a non resident could have like a 40% chance with 1 point and 100% with 2 points, also 37 is a general tag for residents as well and would take the same odds but ive never spent much time there. 36 has good elk and good access for horses but i know 37 is a much bigger area and might be more of what youre looking for.