Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 78 Times in 22 Posts

What changes would you make to the way we hunt in Nevada?

I didn't want to completely highjack the other thread so I'll start this one. What changes would you like to see happen besides lowering price. I mean if you were king for the day.

My list

1. Only one hunt number ( ie weapon choice per application)
    2. No cow any weapon hunts before Bull seasons.
    3. Smaller hunt areas ( meaning 067-068 not 061,062,064,and 066-068)
    4. More rut hunts with different weapons ( maybe 4 areas with archery , 4 with muzzleloader, 4 with any legal weapon) per year and rotate the areas
    5. Land owner tags only good on deeded land and must allow access to public land of land locked areas to get land owner tags.
    6. Allow res and non res to apply on the same antlerless elk application.
    7. Change online to $10 per session per hunter and predator fee to $10 per license
    8. Allow party applications to be put in at separate times(ie each member can apply for the party on their own not all at once)
    9. Eliminate the elk incentive fund or make it only available to those that allow hunting

that's enough for now lol

DILLY DILLY

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nv-hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 65 Times in 16 Posts
    Sell more tags to NR
    Increase revenue by selling more tags to NR
    Sell all tags to NR, sell leftovers to residents : )

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 207 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bghunter View Post
    Sell more tags to NR
    Increase revenue by selling more tags to NR
    Sell all tags to NR, sell leftovers to residents : )
    Hilarious!
    Any tags left-over after the 2nd drawing are available to non-residents.
    When you have a finite # of animals to harvest and it's not easy for a resident to draw tags, where would the extra non-res tags come from? Take them from the resident tag pool? That would go over like a lead balloon.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 207 Times in 50 Posts
    I don't know why you would want to change the way we hunt here.
    I tagged along with my dad and brothers for the first time in 1969 and had my own tag for the first time in 1974. Back then we would just stop at the bait shop on the way out of town and buy a deer tag and you could hunt anywhere for buck or doe. We used to feel lucky to see a deer of any kind back then even in northern NV. When we drove through Caliente NV on our way to Jarbidge the scene was crazy. People in pick-ups and jeeps everywhere because that was the closest place from Vegas to go hunting for deer. Orange clad hunters on every hill.
    People had a cow when NV went to a drawing system in 1976 but the hunting got better and better every year. Elk were quite rare and antelope were few and far between. Look at what we have now.
    The difference between hunting now and then is like day and night and I wouldn't change anything.
    Last edited by Gr8bawana; 01-11-2018 at 05:28 PM.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gr8bawana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 78 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr8bawana View Post
    I don't know why you would want to change the way we hunt here.
    I tagged along with my dad and brothers for the first time in 1969 and had my own tag for the first time in 1974. Back then we would just stop at the bait shop on the way out of town and buy a deer tag and you could hunt anywhere. We used to feel lucky to see a deer of any kind back then even in northern NV. When we drove through Caliente NV on our way to Jarbidge the scene was crazy. People and pick-up and jeeps everywhere because that was the closest place from Vegas to go hunting for deer. Orange clad hunters on every hill.
    People had a cow when NV went to a drawing system in 1976 but the hunting got better and better every year. Elk were quite rare and antelope were few and far between.
    The difference between hunting now and then is like day and night and I wouldn't change anything.

Thanks for the reply, I am not saying the hunting is not great here but I guess I would like to see some break in pressure on animals during the fall we start Aug 1 and in some areas it doesn't stop till mid Jan. Personally its quality over quantity as far as my trip goes, meaning less people, unpressured animals and new experiences. Unless we are talking crappie fishing then the more fish the better eating.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nv-hunter For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 717 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nv-hunter View Post
    I didn't want to completely highjack the other thread so I'll start this one. What changes would you like to see happen besides lowering price. I mean if you were king for the day.

My list

1. Only one hunt number ( ie weapon choice per application)
    2. No cow any weapon hunts before Bull seasons.
    3. Smaller hunt areas ( meaning 067-068 not 061,062,064,and 066-068)
    4. More rut hunts with different weapons ( maybe 4 areas with archery , 4 with muzzleloader, 4 with any legal weapon) per year and rotate the areas
    5. Land owner tags only good on deeded land and must allow access to public land of land locked areas to get land owner tags.
    6. Allow res and non res to apply on the same antlerless elk application.
    7. Change online to $10 per session per hunter and predator fee to $10 per license
    8. Allow party applications to be put in at separate times(ie each member can apply for the party on their own not all at once)
    9. Eliminate the elk incentive fund or make it only available to those that allow hunting

that's enough for now lol

DILLY DILLY

Ha! Dilly Dilly it’s caught on around here. All night on New Years everyone saying it. Lol
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 89 Times in 20 Posts
    I'd be in favor of 1 hunt number. I only want to muzzy hunt for the most part.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 65 Times in 16 Posts

One thing should be changed for sure is shorten drawing time, not just NV but most of the western states, it takes couple months for some states to post those results, come on, what most of those DFGs are doing for couple month after the application deadline? CA can do it within less than two weeks and every state shoud do the same. At least there is something good about CA : ), maybe because there is no more game in CA, mountain lion ate most of the deer and they still protecting them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bghunter For This Useful Post: