Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 6 Posts

All this talk has me wanting to turn the computer off and just go hunting how I like to hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 52 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim McCoy View Post
    Not pitching anything, I'll leave that to you. Was simply sticking to the question posed by the OP. Essentially, I'm fine with legal means of hunting, whether I like it or not. What I think we should all avoid is bashing others that may engage in legal activities we may not support. Try to change it, perfectly legit, just like to see folks do it in a manner that does not rely on trying to make the other look bad/wrong etc.

I won't try and explain to you why shooting inside the tent applied to some of your and others remarks, it'd be a waste of my time.
    Tim, I think in any reasonable discussion that a couple things matter, and one of the big ones is the facts. The implication that you're trying to make holds NO water. This bill was NOT in any way, shape or form the brain child of Wyoming Sportsmen. Its not pitting hunter against hunter, its trying to stop a practice that is BOTH damaging to outfitters bottom line, as well as a huge ethical concern among hunters here in Wyoming. The GF is also in support of banning the practice too.

I happen to agree with the outfitters that the practice of selling GPS cords, maps and pictures of specific animals is a bad idea. Its also more than just a business decision, it is a matter of hunting ethics and how far down the rabbit hole we want hunting to go.

Just like the regulation that WYBHA worked on in regard to aircraft use, it makes, just slightly more than a metric chit-ton of sense, to get out in front of this issue while its still a relatively small problem. The longer you wait to put the genie back in the bottle, the tougher it is. Nip it while in its infancy.

I'm not asking you to agree or disagree with the legislation, but quit trying to make this an US vs. THEM issue when its largely not. Quit trying to connect dots when none exist, the legislation will not stop any lawful outfitting and guiding...NONE.

Its a pretty rare bird when WYOGA, the WYGF Department, and Wyoming R and NR sportsmen are pretty well on the same page about an issue...which we are on this one.

Lastly, Wyoming has the ability and right to manage our wildlife as we see fit...and we will do so.

IMO, you would be well served to figure out what your state wants to do with this issue...its happening there too. Oregon (and all the Western States) are closely watching how the legislation/regulation plays out here in Wyoming.
    Last edited by BuzzH; 01-11-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzH View Post
    it is a matter of hunting ethics and how far down the rabbit hole we want hunting to go
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 493 Times in 64 Posts
    I think we are turning this back into the selling GPS coord for animals. That wasn't the basis for the thread imo. The OP stated "I was just listening to a podcast from another host not Eastmans Elevated discussing some outfitters that will sell info to clients. Specific Info like where to glass from, canyons to hunt in, and where to look for the specific species your hunting. " To me this is scouting areas, very similar to what a drop camp provides or honestly what is provided in a lot of area research by many places,including the site we are on, just on a more detailed level. The intention is to make money of course but it gives a non-resident who wants to pay for help another option instead of paying for a fully guided hunt. Where should the line be drawn? I'm not sure personally but I have absolutely bought a guy a beer in a bar to pick his brain in the past. Would that be a grey area? My point is that I believe most sportsmen have no issue with people paying for a guide. Why would they have an issue with people paying for a partial guide? That's what this is- paying for a semi-guided hunt. Selling exact GPS coordinates for a specific animal is a whole different can of worms to me that I do not agree with.

As to the rabbit hole- we are already way below semi-guided hunts.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 1,125 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 711 Times in 118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    I think we are turning this back into the selling GPS coord for animals. That wasn't the basis for the thread imo. The OP stated "I was just listening to a podcast from another host not Eastmans Elevated discussing some outfitters that will sell info to clients. Specific Info like where to glass from, canyons to hunt in, and where to look for the specific species your hunting. " To me this is scouting areas, very similar to what a drop camp provides or honestly what is provided in a lot of area research by many places,including the site we are on, just on a more detailed level. The intention is to make money of course but it gives a non-resident who wants to pay for help another option instead of paying for a fully guided hunt. Where should the line be drawn? I'm not sure personally but I have absolutely bought a guy a beer in a bar to pick his brain in the past. Would that be a grey area? My point is that I believe most sportsmen have no issue with people paying for a guide. Why would they have an issue with people paying for a partial guide? That's what this is- paying for a semi-guided hunt. Selling exact GPS coordinates for a specific animal is a whole different can of worms to me that I do not agree with.

This outfitter calls this their "Scouting Package"
    ... because every picture tells a story

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 14 Posts
    I think you are splitting hairs GPS coordinates vs "scouting package".

But you are right, we are on a slippery slope and there is no way back .

Is everyone allowed to make money off wildlife?
    Last edited by 480/277; 01-11-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 52 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post

Not going to try picking fly chit out of pepper about the intent of the discussion.

But, I just got a call an hour ago regarding the GF bringing up a lot of these issues of technology limitations being discussed at the next commission meeting.

Apparently its a big enough issue that the GF wants to do more than talk about it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 493 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzH View Post
    Not going to try picking fly chit out of pepper about the intent of the discussion.

But, I just got a call an hour ago regarding the GF bringing up a lot of these issues of technology limitations being discussed at the next commission meeting.

Apparently its a big enough issue that the GF wants to do more than talk about it.
    I believe they should as long as ethics and management are the basis behind what is done- not deciding who's pocket the money ends up in. I believe the majority of us are all for preserving hunting as we know it and support laws that are in line with management and ethical hunting. In my opinion, a guy paying to be told what drainage to look for an elk in is no different than a guy paying an outfitter to have his guide take him to the same drainage. Maybe I'm in the minority? In any event, I do respect your opinions and enjoy being able to respectfully debate issues like this on here.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 135 Times in 19 Posts
    If the guy selling the info is licensed.. then so be it. But when you have a guy from Utah selling gps coordinates and locations to big bucks and pays ZERO fees to the state of Wyoming in any way.. then that is not the same as outfitting. Outfitters are licensed, insured and only allowed in the certain areas the are licensed for, and they can lose their license at any point for violating laws. The person who is just doing it to make money and sell wildlife is not doing a damn thing for this state and therefore I fully support game and fish trying to put a stop to certain individuals who have been basically illegally outfitting by collecting compensation for while assisting someone's hunt, but not claiming that money as business in the state of Wyoming. I'll be going to the deer meetings that are upcoming and look forward to voicing my thoughts and hearing what they are thinking as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mntnguide For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 11 Posts

One things we can all agree on is that things change. Hunting has changed so much in last 100 years. It will continue to change the next hundred.
    NRA Life Member
    Colorado Bowhunters Life Member
    Nebraska Bowhunters Life Member

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast