Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Buzz I dissagree. Cause some one works a real job some times 70 hours a week and a family ,that means they shouldn't go hunting..I don't care much for guided hunts,and generally find my own animals, but some guys are not capable of going in areas blind.As I think of good hunters having instinct. I do. But I know a lot that don't have that ability like You or I. Give them a chance.. Especilly from out of state...Thanks .......BOB!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 190 Times in 41 Posts
    One of the biggest "outfitters" selling GPS coordinates here in colorado has a bit of history... Yea he got caught poaching deer and leaving them lay to rot. Then at another time - faking cancer to get his points back - now he sells scouting packages... Or makes his living off the wildlife of colorado on public land after getting CONVICTED of POACHING....... Flat sickening period..

Press release is below and more of these type of folks are doing this crap every year. Guys like this make all hunter look bad period.

But even a poacher will have lazy Johns who will gladly pay him for his info.. Hey what ever it takes right boys! IMO if you are so lazy that you have a poacher do your scouting just go buy a mount and tell the fam/friends you shot it. Same thing in my book... Lazy uncommitted hunters looking to become instafamous are killing our past time.

Sad...

Jeff Coldwell 43, of Firestone Colorado, of Antler Quest, has pleaded guilty to poaching charges as well as leaving the poached deer to rot.

Jeff Coldwell pleaded guilty to illegal possession of 3 or more in Weld county. In addition to the foritfiture of the illigally taken wildlife he forfeited his muzzleloader and the court fined him $7,500 with 36 months probation. Coldwell also pled guilty to abuse of public records in Adams County and received a 2 year deferred sentence for false statements made regarding a bear license. The courts donated a portion of his fine to Operation Game Thief.

The abuses also led the Colorado Wildlife Commission to suspend Coldwell?s privilege of applying for, purchasing, or exercising the benefits conferred by all DOW licenses for 20 years. His license privileges are also suspended in 22 Wildlife Violator Compact states.

It all began with a hunch. Wildlife Officer Windi Padia contacted Jeff Coldwell while on ATV patrol in Game Management Unit 20 during the 2005 muzzleloader season. Coldwell had a muzzleloader, but no hunting license in his possession. Noticing a clump of deer hair near his truck, Padia inquired further, but Coldwell denied taking a deer. Coldwell was visibly nervous throughout the contact and told Padia he had been hunting with a family member who had a deer license for GMU 18, about seven miles to the west and over the Continental Divide. After checking the records for Coldwell?s license, Officer Padia found that it was valid for GMU 20 only.

Additional Wildlife Officers, Aimee Ryel and John Koehler, were engaged to conduct interviews in Coldwell?s hometown, whereupon he admitted he had taken a large mule deer buck illegally in GMU 18 and had already transported the cape out of the unit by backpack. Another deer was shot by the licensed family member and both animals were left to rot. Officers hiked to the kill site and located the trophy-quality skinned buck, as well as a quartered buck. The meat was only salvageable on one of the animals.

Now, the full arm of the law reached in--a search warrant was obtained for Coldwell?s residence yielding evidence that Coldwell used another family member's license to tag a buck in 2000. Padia seized Coldwell?s computer and found further evidence of a wildlife violation--emails from Coldwell showed that he had gone bear hunting in 2005 and finding that people were camped near his hunting spot, promptly told a representative from the DOW that he was not able to go on his bear hunt due to medical issues. Six bear preference points were reinstated to Coldwell based on his statements. This fraudulent activity led Officer Padia to charge him with abuse of public records. After disposition of the case in Adams County, his bear preference points were revoked.

In connection with the case, two members of Jeff Coldwell?s family have received citations for wildlife violations and have chosen to pay their fines.

One poaching leads to proof of another

Evidence also seized from Coldwell?s computer revealed information from a 2003 Trophy Hunter magazine article depicting Coldwell in Fox Park, also in GMU 18, with a harvested buck. This evidence prompted Officer Padia to obtain another search warrant for his residence. The buck in question was seized and it was determined that Coldwell poached it in 2003 in GMU 18 during muzzleloader season. He did not have a license for GMU 18 that year.

?Transferring licenses, a form of ?party hunting?, has severely negative impacts on our wildlife,? said Officer Windi Padia. ?Hunting opportunities are regulated for a reason?any additional opportunity created by a poacher is one less opportunity for an ethical hunter. Everyone who values our wildlife should know that poaching doesn?t pay.?

You can help stop poaching. If you see a poaching incident, report it. Poaching is a crime against you, your neighbor, and everyone else in the state of Colorado. Call 1-877-COLO-OGT toll-free or Verizon cell phone users can just dial #OGT. If you'd like, you can e-mail us at game.thief@state.co.us .

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ColoradoV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 82 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzH View Post
    I have looked into 1st amendment rulings, and there are lots of examples of laws and regulations that ARE NOT violations of 1st amendment rights even though they've reached the Supreme court. Do some research.

What I find sad is that rules, laws and regulations are needed to be passed in the first place, because a small minority of idiots seem to think they're more special and more entitled than everyone else. In particular in regard to hunting and fishing regulations, but that transfers over to lots of other things in everyday life. Rules are not made for the majority, rather the few, that need to be forced to do the right thing.

If people did the right thing, there would be no reason for laws, regulations, rules, etc. Just not a reality when everyone thinks they're special, because mama and daddy told them so.

I would also suggest that our Republic is a nation of laws, if you don't like government regulations, laws, etc. then move somewhere else.

I find it pretty easy to follow the rules and laws of the United States, I have no grievance with our government and I love this country.

You have yourself a good day now...

you are correct.we are a nation of laws . you don't have to like said laws but you do have to obey them.
    would only add that those who don't like a law, should get off their duffs and fight to change them.that's the great thing about this nation,you don't have to move somewhere else . we have a system in place to right wrongs.
    it can be done . it's how some of the stupid laws got passed in first place.

I have no need or desire to buy info from a outfitter. personally , killing an animal means nothing if I can't do it myself but also don't really care if someone wants to pay for such info.
    Last edited by kidoggy; 01-11-2018 at 07:54 AM.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 55 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim McCoy View Post
    Nope. Was referring to you and others so harshly condemning the practice. Similar to rifle hunters bashing bow hunters, condemning hunting with dogs, all by other hunters, or things of a similar nature. Fishermen are prone to the same malady in my experience. Ergo my use of the phrasing "I'm not.... But nice try at a straw man argument.
    If you want to pitch chit...blame the Wyoming outfitters and guides association and muley fanatics, they're the ones that approached the legislature and wrote the current bill, not me. In case you question how I know, I was at the TRW meeting in Lander this past summer when the WYOGA lobbyist asked them to carry the legislation. Nobody in the room spoke against the legislation, including the WYGF Department.

All I'm trying to do is fix their idea so it makes sense and doesn't legitimize the practice of selling info, which is exactly what the current bill will end up doing.

I think you're very uninformed about this legislation, why it was brought up, and by whom.

I don't think you shot inside the tent...you totally misfired.
    Last edited by BuzzH; 01-11-2018 at 08:49 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturebob View Post
    Buzz I dissagree. Cause some one works a real job some times 70 hours a week and a family ,that means they shouldn't go hunting..I don't care much for guided hunts,and generally find my own animals, but some guys are not capable of going in areas blind.As I think of good hunters having instinct. I do. But I know a lot that don't have that ability like You or I. Give them a chance.. Especilly from out of state...Thanks .......BOB!
    Guided hunts are a totally different thing, and I agree with you, they have their place no doubt.

That's not what the concern is, and never has been. Thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 493 Times in 64 Posts
    Why is WYOGA the one trying to pass this law? Simple- it's money. I'm ok if the WG&F pushes a law through based on morals and management that betters wildlife and the experience but to me, this is simply about money. Our right or wrong moral arguments don't mean anything here imo. WYOGA members stand to lose money so they are fighting it. Same reason Wyoming has the silly wilderness law.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    Why is WYOGA the one trying to pass this law? Simple- it's money. I'm ok if the WG&F pushes a law through based on morals and management that betters wildlife and the experience but to me, this is simply about money. Our right or wrong moral arguments don't mean anything here imo. WYOGA members stand to lose money so they are fighting it. Same reason Wyoming has the silly wilderness law.
    Correct, but here's the problem...well a couple problems.

Number 1, WYOGA needs to stop running to the legislature every time they have a problem. This SHOULD be handled at the commission level and dealt with in Chapter 44 regulations.

Number 2, the current legislation exempts outfitters from selling information, which them makes the practice legitimate. It gives a loophole to the very practice that they're trying to stop. The legislation and ultimately the Statute needs to keep everyone from selling information, including outfitters. Otherwise, I say keep it open to everyone and simply kill the legislation.

Anybody want to talk about the newly released PreHunt service????

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsenhike View Post

"There out to be a law!" is very rarely my reaction to anything.
    This^^^^^

But I also agree with Buzz that it's sad men can not regulate themselves.

And it's sad to see hunting going the way it is. Is there a line where we become so reliant on technology, that it just becomes killing and not hunting.

I'm the last guy to want to impose a law against a legal activity. But I find it sad we have to plaster properties with cameras so we can "inventory" our deer to formulate a "hit list".

How on earth did Gordon Eastman ever kill anything?.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haze grey and underway....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 141 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 480/277 View Post
    This^^^^^

But I also agree with Buzz that it's sad men can not regulate themselves.

And it's sad to see hunting going the way it is. Is there a line where we become so reliant on technology, that it just becomes killing and not hunting.

I'm the last guy to want to impose a law against a legal activity. But I find it sad we have to plaster properties with cameras so we can "inventory" our deer to formulate a "hit list".

How on earth did Gordon Eastman ever kill anything?.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A lot of the time he flew around in an airplane and looked for them from what I read about him....lol

And I mean no disrespect by saying that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 78 Times in 26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzH View Post
    If you want to pitch chit...blame the Wyoming outfitters and guides association and muley fanatics, they're the ones that approached the legislature and wrote the current bill, not me. In case you question how I know, I was at the TRW meeting in Lander this past summer when the WYOGA lobbyist asked them to carry the legislation. Nobody in the room spoke against the legislation, including the WYGF Department.

All I'm trying to do is fix their idea so it makes sense and doesn't legitimize the practice of selling info, which is exactly what the current bill will end up doing.

I think you're very uninformed about this legislation, why it was brought up, and by whom.

I don't think you shot inside the tent...you totally misfired.
    Not pitching anything, I'll leave that to you. Was simply sticking to the question posed by the OP. Essentially, I'm fine with legal means of hunting, whether I like it or not. What I think we should all avoid is bashing others that may engage in legal activities we may not support. Try to change it, perfectly legit, just like to see folks do it in a manner that does not rely on trying to make the other look bad/wrong etc.

I won't try and explain to you why shooting inside the tent applied to some of your and others remarks, it'd be a waste of my time.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast