Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Northern North East US ...not a masshole !
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Travelling with firearms and gear - what do you do ?

All, I hope to be faced with the dilemma of having to travel from the east coast to Jackson Hole this year for a 10 day hunt.
    I haven't done this in many years so I have a few basic questions about how you all do it. Knowing that the airlines have gotten so damn difficult to deal with...(gone are the days of 2 checked bags and a carry on) what do you do.

1, Do you bring your firearms on the plane as checked baggage or do you ship them in advance ?
    - I will be travelling thru Chicago as worst case and Denver as best case so neither is appealing
    2, If you ship them how do you do it
    -carrier
    -ship location -outfitter, hotel or will fed-x/ups hold them?
    3, Same question on gear how ?
    - I was thinking that since I will need a night of lodging on either end of the trip that I would send my duffle to the hotel'

4, I will be leaving from Turpin meadows trailhead any suggestions for affordable Jackson area lodging?

Do any of you have a system for success ?

Thanks for any direction & suggestions

Good fortune to all in the draws ...

Dave

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Check your gun on the plane, it'll be way cheaper than sending it UPS and then paying $100 to the local gunsmith for the paperwork...if he even does that anymore. Make sure you can lock your gun case. Super 8 is probably the cheapest in town but a lot of hunters stay at the Antler or one of the other hotels owned by the same person (very hunter friendly).
    I fly a fair amount and much prefer Delta over United airlines but check their policies regarding shipping antlers on the plane. I don't know if you can even ship antlers with them anymore.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 5 Posts
    I dont fly lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 14 Posts
    I always check my rifle in. Aluminum gun case. TSA locks.
    Never had a problem.
    Been to Denver many times. They only "lost" my friends rifle. His first big game hunt.
    First hunt out of state. It came on the next flight, so we were a couple hours late leaving Denver.
    Outside of that I have not had a problem.

On a guided elk hunt all my gear fits in one small duffle. Sans my binocs and spotter which I carry on. So I take my gear with me on plane.
    For a guided hunt I would have one duffle, rifle case, back pack as carry on.
    Last edited by 480/277; 01-08-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 140 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 480/277 View Post
    I always check my rifle in. Aluminum gun case. TSA locks.
    Never had a problem.
    It is highly recommended not to use TSA locks on your gun case. Once your case and rifle is inspected by TSA with you with the case there is no reason for them to have to get back into the case, and if they do they can page you through the intercom at the airport.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    They have opened my case after TSA inspection and left their little note.
    If I didn't have TSA locks they would have cut them off.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 140 Times in 32 Posts
    There is no reason for them to open it. That is why there is a inspection of it by a TSA agent with you present before you hand it over to the baggage check person.

I am on a African Hunting forum and none of the members there will use a TSA lock for anything other than their standard luggage. Also if I remember right even TSA recommends that you use your own lock and not one that TSA can open.

I'll have to see if I can find that recommendation.

It is in this information. It really doesn't say not to use a TSA lock but it does mention that they will ask you for your key to open the case. Which to me infers that they are unable to unlock it.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition
    Last edited by JimP; 01-08-2018 at 08:22 PM. Reason: added info
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Because of the gun, give yourself some extra time at check in. I very nearly missed a flight in Denver because of a TSA-hole who didn't approve of the lock on my gun case which I had used at check in on 6 or 8 trips prior to that. I ended up buying a piece of junk case from an airport employee who saw the TSA jerking me around. He saved my trip so I gave him my good case as a tip.

One other time I had some problems checking my gun with a gate agent in Mpls who was obviously an anti-gun/anti-hunter type. Eventually she had to let me through.
    Last edited by WY ME; 01-08-2018 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 94 Times in 15 Posts
    As far as places to stay in Jackson...much depends on the season, as the hunter rates at the Antler Inn used to kick in earlier. The last couple times I was there, Jackson had several activities in mid-Sept. (art fairs, bike races, etc.), so the tourist rates were still in effect. I suggest that you check well ahead of your trip, but the Antler and the Super 8 may well be the cheapest route.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    There is no reason for them to open it. That is why there is a inspection of it by a TSA agent with you present before you hand it over to the baggage check person.

I am on a African Hunting forum and none of the members there will use a TSA lock for anything other than their standard luggage. Also if I remember right even TSA recommends that you use your own lock and not one that TSA can open.

I'll have to see if I can find that recommendation.

It is in this information. It really doesn't say not to use a TSA lock but it does mention that they will ask you for your key to open the case. Which to me infers that they are unable to unlock it.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition
    Never asked for my key, and never informed me outside of the card they left inside the case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast