Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Horses

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 14 Posts

Spendy yes, worth every penny. Like you I found their gait to be the most comfortable ride in the mountains.

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 135 Times in 19 Posts
    Tennessee walkers can walk great and all, but if you want horses for rugged mountains, they are not my choice especially if you will be using them a lot. We had a few TW in our herd back when I was guiding, you couldn't use them more than a trip or two because no matter what they begin to lose weight and need to be rested. They were allowed to free graze 12 hours a night, so they had plenty of feed.
    My personal preference is a big quarter horse 15.2-16 hands. Also quarter/draft cross as long as they don't have a barrel of a body that sticks your legs out like toothpicks. Having the draft in a mountain horse is nice because the temperment is usually relaxed when it comes to wrecks and grizzlies etc.
    I have packed and rode hundreds of mules, and a good riding mule is top notch and smooth, but I just prefer riding horses and packing mules. Also if you are only getting a couple, mules stick with with a horse or two.. but all mules without horses, might leave you stranded someday, but then again so will a horse haha.
    There really is no correct answer, it's personal preference and takes experience to know what you want. My personal "dream string" for myself would be 2 quarter/draft crosses to change out riding, and 2 good pack mules. That way I could always turn mules loose at night and just pack feed for the horses when hunting late season. That's my long 2 cents!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mntnguide For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 14 Posts
    My fav riding 1/4 horse Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haze grey and underway....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kidoggy View Post
    just don't go with an appaloosa.

you know why the indians rode appaloosas to war?

SO THEY WOULD BE MAD WHEN THEY GOT THERE!
    This is funny!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LaHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for all the input guys.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 162 Times in 20 Posts

Mountain Horses

Hard thing with having gained horses and stock horses in your string is the gaited horses will out-walk the stock horse. In my option breed of horse doesnt matter long as its a good one. And for good horses you will pay a little more for them versus something thats green.

My dads long time neighbor breeds and trains Tennessee walkers and hes even bred his own gaited mules and swears by them. Hes packed both his walkers and mules into the Bob, Yellowstone park, and used them for elk hunting around Montana. I can definitely provide you with a contact if your interested

9. The Following User Says Thank You to missjordan For This Useful Post:

RJW

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If it Flys, floats or Rides. Rent it!!!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to unoboats For This Useful Post:

RJW

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Jordan, I’ll take that contact info. You can PM it to me if you want.Thanks!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WYO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WYO View Post
    Hey guys, not sure if this is the right area to ask this but a buddy and I are going to be getting into horses this year. We like the smoothness of Tennessee Walkers and seeing what everyone?s opinions are on Tennessee Walkers as elk hunting horses and as pack horses. We will be hunting rugged country in NW Wyoming. I don?t know if we could ride Walkers and use a mule or quarter horse behind the walker because we would be dragging the pack horses as the Walkers have a fast gait. Or should we just stick with QH?s or mules? Or can walkers pack very well as in ride a walker and pack a walker?
    Thanks for the input.
    this reminds me of young fellas asking what kind of hunting truck should they buy/build.

well, for the amount of real time you are going to be packing the trails here in our area and hunting the back country, I'd recommend RENTING pack horses/mules if you can or pay a packer to haul in and out for you.

I wouldn't go specialized for mtn packing, living in cody, you're just not going to trailer them every day or often enough out he north or south fork or up into the beartooth to make it worth it.

get something like the TW and ride all over the blm etc right from your house, for the relatively few times you'll be packing in the mtns I'd rent pack horses. WHy tie up the money?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RJW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

RJW, I hear you on the renting piece but you never know what you’re gonna get. I’d like to mitigate the amount of rodeos I have on the mountain. The only one I know in cody who rents horses is Bob at Cedar Mtn trail rides. Do you know anyone else?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast