Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 86 Times in 17 Posts

WY 2018 with 4pp

We are planning on making our first trip to WY for pronghorn. We will be a group of 3 (AK, MN and ID) and it will be our first pronghorn hunt. We are all good friends in our mid 30s with big game experience. We all have 4pp and have been planning on the special draw all along. We are not looking for B&C and anything in the mid 70" range will probably have us punching a tag. We will probably have 5 days to hunt and 7-9 days total with travel.

The goal would be quality of the experience so I have been keeping track of some units with decent access and low tag quotas. We would like to avoid pressure, road hunters and have nice scenery. We plan to walk a lot and pack animals out. The plan is either to do hotel or truck camp on BLM with wall tent or truck tent. We MAY have a side by side by then. We would be happier with 3 bucks in the 68-73" range and have it be laid back than fight crowds and grind out two 78" bucks if that makes sense. We don't get to see each other a lot and the guy in AK doesn't get to hunt a ton so low pressure and not living or dying by a handful of opportunities is preferred.

I know tons of winter is left ahead, but if anyone has any advice on where to try for a tag based on the goals and what they've seen/heard in 2017 after the 16-17 winter that'd be awesome. The units I've considered are 52, 66, and 106. I had also looked at 73, 77, and 78 but they have higher quotas. We have never been to WY and don't know anything about services (gas, food, lodging).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 6 Posts
    If you don't like crowds then avoid the first 2 weeks and you'll have a much quieter hunt in any of the areas. Avoid western WY areas as that is where the winter kill from last year would have been the worst.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WY ME For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 86 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WY ME View Post
    If you don't like crowds then avoid the first 2 weeks and you'll have a much quieter hunt in any of the areas. Avoid western WY areas as that is where the winter kill from last year would have been the worst.
    I should have mentioned that, we plan on going around 10/1-10/10 with exact dates TBD. After the best of the archery season for elk in ID at least.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 691 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 520 Times in 72 Posts
    I agree, you don't have to avoid high quota areas at all. After the first weekend, you just don't see many hunters in any of the antelope units. 4 points will get you on a lot of great hunting. Sending you a PM with an idea or two.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 69 Times in 13 Posts
    If you are truly willing to walk and pack out antelope. I think you can have success in many units. Just pick one you know you can draw. Heck I like to say Wyoming has more antelope than we have squirrels here in Arkansas.
    I hunted there this past fall. I did all my scouting on maps and a few phone calls. It is hard to get information on sites like this. When a guy puts in the effort and time to find and figure out an area. He more than likely is not wanting to put up a road sign hunt this area.

I picked hard to access areas that require walking in. Funny I actually picked the camp site and where to hunt off google earth. I killed a really nice buck opening morning with in hours of stepping in Wyoming for my very first time. I also had no trouble filling two doe/fawn tags. I had never even seen an antelope before this trip.
    So put in the time required and hunt hard and you can have great success.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yell Co AR Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 165 Times in 38 Posts
    That would never happen to me....

I would walk 15 miles that day never see an antelope. Then go back to the truck, see a big buck licking my bumper only to jump the fence onto private ground lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 611 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 272 Times in 37 Posts
    You're expectations are very reasonable, so don't stress out over your decision. You shouldn't have much trouble in a unit with good public access that will take 3-4 points in the special draw in Wyoming.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Johnsd16: Ive hunted 106 once in 2012.Pm me if you want.P.S. would you be willing to trade elk info. archery? Thanks, Roundball
    Last edited by Roundball; 02-22-2018 at 01:33 PM. Reason: add something

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Roundball For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 31 Times in 2 Posts
    I promise you will not be disappointed with a 66 or 73 tag!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ssulliv155 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 73 Times in 17 Posts

PM sent with some info.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to wy-tex For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast