Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 1 Post

Wyoming Leftover Tags - 2018

Happy New Year Everyone!

I'm hoping to gain some insight from the eastmans team. My son and I have 10 PP for elk and deer and it looks like we're going to putting in for another point this year because my son (recent college grad) doesn't have vacation time built up to go. In the mean time, I don't mind hunting alone, and am thinking about trying the Wyoming leftover license option this year while I wait. I'm very flexible on units, elk or deer, archery or rifle - that sort of thing. I love it all - but it's got to be public land DIY. If any of you have some experience with the left over licenses and are willing to share some insight, please PM me. It would be very much appreciated - and I'm only looking for one tag. Thank you!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 94 Times in 11 Posts
    Why are you waiting for a leftover when you could draw a tag with your second choice, increasing your odds of a tag, all while maintaining your points?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 1 Post
    Thanks for the post Granby guy. I spoke with someone at Fish and Game a few weeks ago and must have misunderstood. I thought she told me I burn my points on 2nd choice? Maybe I'm getting Wyoming and Arizona confused?

If you don't burn points using the second choice option, I assume a second choice license would need to be a hunt that does not require points?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 70 Times in 15 Posts
    Apply for a cow tag in an area you might draw your bull license in. They are cheaper and get you in the field hunting and learning an area.
    2nd choice tags will be hard to come by unless you go the antlerless option.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wy-tex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 4 Posts
    AZ burns points on 2nd choice, not WY.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think wy-tex has given great advice here.
    A cow or maybe a regional deer tag that hunts the same area you want to draw an elk tag in is a good way to get a jump on the learning curve of an area. Would be good to try to hunt during the same time a bull elk hunt would take place if you can.
    Good way to maybe see how pressure will push the game around too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 5 Posts
    Be aware that the non-res type 6 and type 7 cow tags in WY go through a random draw (there may be some landowner cow tags that can be gotten differently-but I'm not certain) and not all the units are a slam-dunk 100% draw nor necessarily have leftovers if all the tags draw out in the 1st choice. You won't lose points on these draws for cow type 6 or 7 tags.

The unit I picked for last year's type 6 tag had draw odds of 50-50 in 2016. Last year it was 25%. I still drew a tag, but was suprised to see how lucky I was, because I got bad, bad luck..."I'm always scratching on the " so the song goes.

I know WY also has type 4 tags as well, but I think they are full price. They might be more readily available in interesting units.

Regards,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Prerylyon; 01-02-2018 at 09:37 PM.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,000 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 157 Times in 71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prerylyon View Post
    Be aware that the non-res type 6 and type 7 cow tags in WY go through a random draw (there may be some landowner cow tags that can be gotten differently-but I'm not certain) and not all the units are a slam-dunk 100% draw nor necessarily have leftovers if all the tags draw out in the 1st choice. You won't lose points on these draws for cow type 6 or 7 tags.

The unit I picked for last year's type 6 tag had draw odds of 50-50 in 2016. Last year it was 25%. I still drew a tag, but was suprised to see how lucky I was, because I got bad, bad luck..."I'm always scratching on the " so the song goes.

I know WY also has type 4 tags as well, but I think they are full price. They might be more readily available in interesting units.

Regards,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
    That is correct on type 4.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 11 Posts
    Beware those type 4 full price cow tags will use up your points if you put them as 1st choice. I know you probably understand that but just want to make sure.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 1,125 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 711 Times in 118 Posts

Interesting. It’s nice to have a state you can draw tags and not loose points.
    ... because every picture tells a story

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast