Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post

2018 antelope hunting

So a friend and I plan on coming out sometime in the beginning of Oct for some antelope hunting. We are going to try for unit 25 since we have no points. We are both newbs at out west hunting, coming from Michigan. If by chance we don't find much for public land to hunt for antelope, is there rabbits or birds to hunt around that time also? And how is the rabbit or bird hunting? Any tips for unit 25? Will be getting onx maps and have been looking at the maps on the Wyoming game and fish website. Thanks.
    7mm rem mag
    Benchmark heavy barrel 26"/ black cerakote
    Timney calvin elite trigger
    Nightforce nxs 5.5-22x56/ scope level
    Bell and Carlson stock/bedded

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 164 Times in 37 Posts
    I'm certainly no expert but if it was me I would point towards a better unit with more public land. Just a quick statistical search shows Unit 76 having a 75% success rate and 55+% of it is public land. Unless of course you have private access in 25 or know something I dont know which is an extreme possibility lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mallardsx2 View Post
    I'm certainly no expert but if it was me I would point towards a better unit with more public land. Just a quick statistical search shows Unit 76 having a 75% success rate and 55+% of it is public land. Unless of course you have private access in 25 or know something I dont know which is an extreme possibility lol
    But his odds at a Type 1 tag last year would have been < 11%, likely even lower this year.

If you hunt a 0 point unit hard, you can get a buck (I've done it before). But it might not be the quality western experience you have built up in your mind. My advice is that if you hunt a 0 point unit, try to get some doe tags in an area with a lot more accessible land where you can spread out and see a lot of country. You'll likely have more fun filling those tags than your limited access buck tag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 164 Times in 37 Posts
    The stats I saw were a type 2 license. Sorry for the confusion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mallardsx2 For This Useful Post:

LCH

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 97 Times in 16 Posts
    I hunted in north central WY for antelope does in 2016. I had taken a buck in that unit the year before, and it was over-run with cotton-tails, so this time I had a small game tag, and a .22 along with me. Rabbit numbers tend to be on a cycle, so I called the F&G before I bought the tag to see if the numbers were still good. Anyway, after filling the doe tags, I had an absolute blast filling out on rabbits. (10 per day, 20 in possession). After the first two, I switched to the .22 pistol to make it more sporting. There is a 3 day Sage Grouse season (and we did see some, but I didn't bring a shotgun). We also saw lots of Huns, but they were all on PL. Download the hunting regs and you will find all you need to know. The regional F&G office for your chosen area will be very helpful if you have specific questions.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 11 Posts
    I agree with RICMIC, not super familiar with that area other than driving through, but I did want to mention that the rabbits tend to get the tulleremia (sp?) when their numbers are good lately. Something to watch out for I guess. I am not sure how well the old months with an "r" deal or whatever holds up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 97 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthewind View Post
    I agree with RICMIC, not super familiar with that area other than driving through, but I did want to mention that the rabbits tend to get the tulleremia (sp?) when their numbers are good lately. Something to watch out for I guess. I am not sure how well the old months with an "r" deal or whatever holds up.
    That was one of my questions to the regional F&G; not just the numbers, but if any tulleremia had been reported. Once that hits, the population crashes quickly. I always wear latex gloves while cleaning the rabbits, and the tell-tell sign is a spotted stomach. They all tasted great by the way.