Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 198 Times in 26 Posts

Nevada rancher Wayne Hage

Pine creek ranch in Nevada has an interesting past with Wayne Hage who was one cool guy and his story of fighting the goverment to save his ranch was amazing

https://youtu.be/f4hKiEnQdwU
    Trying like hell to live the dream,Nomad

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dustin ray For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 1,125 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 711 Times in 118 Posts
    I'm sure I've heard of this ranch before. I remember somthing about his fight. I'll watch this. Thanks for posting.
    ... because every picture tells a story

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 11 Posts
    "We're from the government, and we're here to help." Probably not a good sign.

Water rights are nasty business in the west. I think if the full story were told about land transfer and the sale of water rights we would all be amazed. Interesting his thoughts on the Nature Conservancy. I would like to know more. Does the NC sell water rights of the land it buys?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,095 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 312 Times in 85 Posts
    I am not taking sides with anyone on this issue. But the gentleman that owns the ranch, water & grazing allotments is a good example of how the western ranchers view land issues. He talks about owning this and that, but I'll bet his doesn't own the bulk of the close to 200,000 acres he says constitute his ranch. He has leases, allotments and water rights only and doesn't have deeded or patented rights to the leased land.

I am just pointing this out because lots of western states have laws that keep the public off this land. If you enter it you are considered a trespasser. Keeps us hunters from entering federally owned land. Here in Colorado, grazing leases in the National Forest and fenced to keep the cow on the lease. Hunters have access to it and also any leased BLM land. The only time I have ever seen No Trespassing signs were on mineral & gas leases. I am sure there are for safety reasons. Leased federal land in Wyoming is a different story. If you try and hunt it, you will have a visit from the law and probably get cited for trespassing.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 12-19-2017 at 03:31 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Last statement is completely false. Federal lands leased or permitted for livestock use are open to the public for hunting and other recreation as long as they are legally accessed.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 82 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWyo View Post
    Last statement is completely false. Federal lands leased or permitted for livestock use are open to the public for hunting and other recreation as long as they are legally accessed.

maybe by law they may be but in reality it don't stop those that lease from putting up no trespassing signs . and if you cross one you will get ticketed. sure you might win in court but not till much grief is suffered.

don't believe me? that is just fine. go right ahead and cross those fences, an see what happens.
    Last edited by kidoggy; 12-29-2017 at 07:25 AM.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kidoggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,095 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 312 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWyo View Post
    I have seen No Trespassing signs many times on land that showed up on my gps (with land ownership chip) as blm in Wyoming. As kidoggy said ....tickets issued. Then you have to prove exactly where you were, go to court and fight it. Most people (especially nonresidents) will just pay it.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I have seen No Trespassing signs many times on land that showed up on my gps (with land ownership chip) as blm in Wyoming. As kidoggy said ....tickets issued. Then you have to prove exactly where you were, go to court and fight it. Most people (especially nonresidents) will just pay it.
    Anyone that gets trespassed on federal land, and anyone that lets themselves be buffaloed in this day and age deserves what they get.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 6 Posts
    Lots of ranchers believe when they lease grazing rights they pretty much own the property. They lease BLM for pennies on the dollar of what private land leases run. Ranchers/Farmers receive billions of dollars in subsidies every year. Personally, I take what Wayne Hage says with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by buckbull; 12-31-2017 at 04:26 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buckbull For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 67 Times in 15 Posts

What are being called leases are really allotments and I believe that Mr Hauge won a court case saying that he owned the surface rites to that land. Ranchers are then permitted a certain number of cattle each year for said allotment. If you find posted land call the blm and report it I guarantee that it will get changed. As for the fallacy about the costs of the permits big difference on what and who provides what compared to a private land deal. Look into the Taylor grazing act.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nv-hunter For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast