Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,059 Times in 1,175 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 322 Times in 91 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky hunter View Post
    300 RUM a lot of people dont like them mine shoots a 168gr barns at 3280 fps probably the flattest shooting 300 out there its a little heavy but its dead on for a long poke
    I beg to differ with you. I have a .300 Wby that gets 3200 with a 180 gr Nosler Partition. My son shoots a .300RUM that we hand load for and we have compared a lot of different loads on the chronograph and shooting distances up tp 500 yards. In most loads, his rum is slightly faster than my Wby, but it takes about 10 more grains of powder to do it. Ballistically they are almost identical, except with 220 grain bullets where his rum is better.

Just my experience.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 5 Posts
    I love my 300 rum slinging 180 grain scirrocos but for all around ill take the 270 any day. Way better gas mileage!

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 163 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swampokie View Post
    I love my 300 rum slinging 180 grain scirrocos but for all around ill take the 270 any day. Way better gas mileage!
    Yeah, reloading my .300 WBY eats the powder...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    It was enjoyable to read about hunters' favorite cartridges. There are a lot of excellent cartridges.

The way I see it, what's right for one hunter might be all wrong for another. If a hunter prefers a .300 mega-magnum, who am I to say he's wrong? He knows what's right for him, not me.

I see it as preference. When I was far more intelligent than I am now, I had to have a 7MM Rem Mag because it was the definitive elk cartridge. It will kill the largest elk dead, and there's only one degree of dead and that's dead. Big game doesn't get any deader than dead.

To me, rifle design is as important as cartridge. I prefer 22" barrels and on the light side of the weight scale.

The two best might be the .280 Rem and the '06. I own neither. And I'm not buying another hunting rifle. I didn't need the last one I bought.

If we exclude the largest bears, I'll go with either of my .270 Win rifles. Both shoot very tiny groups. I could live in Alaska with a .270 Win and a .45/70 Gov't for the largest and meanest bears. But then gain, I could put a .308 Win carbine to a whole lot of good use.

You guys own lots of excellent cartridges.
    Last edited by SansSouci; 03-04-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 405 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    A lot of this conversation is about taste, confidence and how the rifle makes us feel.
    this nails it

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456