Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Packing Elk...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 234 Times in 47 Posts

dont know how much the pack weight was but was glad to see the truck!!

Someone here once said something like this "Backpack Elk hunting is one of those hunts where you try to kill yourself but you always come back for more!!"

Last edited by 25contender; 12-24-2017 at 10:02 AM.
    DIY Public land Elk hunts are not for everyone but everyone should try it at least once in their lifetime. And for all those younger guys that say I don't have the time, I don't have the money, I'm out of shape or I don't have the experience to do a trip. I only have a few things to say. Take the time to make a experience, Save the money to make the trip, Get in shape so you will enjoy the hunt and the only way to get the experience is to go and make it happen. Hunt on Mark!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 204 Times in 38 Posts
    Very true 25, I’ve also embraced the fact that elk hunting is work, deer hunting is fun. I also would say that pack you have on in the pic looks heavy enough for sure.
    How many of you have nearly felll in your face once you take the pack off at the truck? Those first few steps empty can get you in trouble.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 234 Times in 47 Posts
    I take mine off on a slope at the truck and roll over then lay there!! When I get up I feel like superman doesn't even feel like I am walking!! Haaaa
    DIY Public land Elk hunts are not for everyone but everyone should try it at least once in their lifetime. And for all those younger guys that say I don't have the time, I don't have the money, I'm out of shape or I don't have the experience to do a trip. I only have a few things to say. Take the time to make a experience, Save the money to make the trip, Get in shape so you will enjoy the hunt and the only way to get the experience is to go and make it happen. Hunt on Mark!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 140 Times in 12 Posts
    I've taken a lot of elk and helped a buddy pack one or two. I mostly pack out solo. I've been thinking about using the services of a packer but the problem is, I have some good hunting spots, I don't want them known. My thought is the packers will talk to the locals about packing out people's elk, and next thing you know you'll have people all over the area. I know my distance limit when it comes time to pack an elk out. I usually don't worry about deer. Most of my loads are 60-70lbs. I'm a small frame person and weight 150. I exercise 3-4 times a week so when it comes time to pack I don't get wore out. I think the main thing is have a good plan and know your distance limit. Also make sure you have a good quality pack frame that helps manage the load correctly. I'm 57 and hope to be dong this well into my late 60's or longer. Depending on my health I may have to hire a packer after that. I think packing super heavy loads can cause you health issues when you get older if your not careful. I know a lot of older hunters who had to stop elk hunting because they hurt there backs, hips,or knees and pushed themselves to hard when they were young and when they got older they paid the price. I agreed elk hunting is a lot of work once one is on the ground.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxhunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 97 Times in 7 Posts

Max - no need to hire a packer, just take a new hunting buddy and have him help you *raises hand*

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456