Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts

3-4 year old bull bison

Just wondering what a 3-4 year old bull bison would eat like? Would steaks and roast starting to become tough? I know of a few bulls being culled from heard and may have a chance to get one, thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 140 Times in 32 Posts
    It should be some good eating.

My brother in law shot a 4 year old bull on a Utah bison hunt and all of it was quite good.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 710 Times in 118 Posts
    I would think thy age range would be perfect for mature weight and class for great table fare.
    ... because every picture tells a story

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 94 Times in 15 Posts
    I got a 3 1/2 year old bull in Nebraska a number of years ago. It was without-a-doubt the best meat that I have ever had. I boned it out myself, and iced it down for the 12 hour drive back to MN, where I got it to a small time processor. He aged it for 5 days before cutting and wrapping the 603# of boneless meat. There was virtually no fat or marbling, but it was still beyond tender. The ribs had to be par-boiled before grilling though. I would do it again every year, but the prices have gone thru the roof.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RICMIC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 13 Posts
    I would think it would be fine eating! Good luck to you!
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by RICMIC View Post
    I got a 3 1/2 year old bull in Nebraska a number of years ago. It was without-a-doubt the best meat that I have ever had. I boned it out myself, and iced it down for the 12 hour drive back to MN, where I got it to a small time processor. He aged it for 5 days before cutting and wrapping the 603# of boneless meat. There was virtually no fat or marbling, but it was still beyond tender. The ribs had to be par-boiled before grilling though. I would do it again every year, but the prices have gone thru the roof.
    Nice to hear, think this bison would be very similar to how that one was raised. I was figuring at least 600#'s. Did you have any sausages made or other things? The shop I was going to take it to said aging kind of depends on how much fat is on the animal, if it is leaner, then just a few days, more fat, more time hanging.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 94 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MTHusker View Post
    Nice to hear, think this bison would be very similar to how that one was raised. I was figuring at least 600#'s. Did you have any sausages made or other things? The shop I was going to take it to said aging kind of depends on how much fat is on the animal, if it is leaner, then just a few days, more fat, more time hanging.
    No, I didn't have any sausages made. That year, I also got a bull elk, 30 pheasants, and a whitetail. It was eat meat, repeat all year.
    I do make my own potato sausage and jerky, but generally use anything in the freezer that is from the previous year. I have a late season cow tag in January, and already got a bull this year, so it may be a year to try making my own sausages. I am a bit of a prepper, and made a batch of pemmican and even biltong this fall. Both will go into a SHTF box as they will keep forever, but neither were good enough except for starving humans or zombies. The dogs love it though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well, I will be getting the bison here in a couple weeks, I will let you know what I think

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well, picked up 4 yr old bull yesterday, me and friends had to field dress, one friend brought his skid steer, which was a huge help. gutting went well, moving skid steer around took most the time, lol. Weighed 695# on the rail at processor after skinning, head removal and lower legs, so we were thinking around 1200 # on the hoof. Nice fat on this guy, should be good eating.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 493 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MTHusker View Post
    Well, picked up 4 yr old bull yesterday, me and friends had to field dress, one friend brought his skid steer, which was a huge help. gutting went well, moving skid steer around took most the time, lol. Weighed 695# on the rail at processor after skinning, head removal and lower legs, so we were thinking around 1200 # on the hoof. Nice fat on this guy, should be good eating.
    Worst case scenario is you have a ton of amazing burger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast