Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hunting jacket

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

hunting jacket

I have been looking at buying a good cold weather hunting jacket ( with hood) and the more I look the more this ol cowboy gets confused as to what to purchase.

So, I need the members assistance on what a good jacket would be? I know I am going to have to get out the checkbook on this one but am willing to cough up the $$ as I am worth it!

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I have always wanted to purchase a good jacket.

Merry Christmas

Gary

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 140 Times in 32 Posts
    How heavy of a jacket are you looking for and what kind of activity level are you planning on doing in it?

A few years ago I purchased a jacket system from Cabela's along with a matching set of bibs. It consist of a inner jacket and a external shell which is water proof and insulated. If I am wearing just the jacket I am fine in temperatures down to around zero. If I put the shell on over the top of the jacket and put on the bibs I would be comfortable sleeping in a snow bank completely exposed. However I wouldn't want to have to hike very far in it all.

The one that I purchased is now discontinued but here is a pretty close copy to what I have for the jacket system

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cloth...8.uts?slotId=2
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 13 Posts
    Cabela's sells a good wool blend jacket with liner that helps cut the wind. It's really a good one and you can get a hood also.
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 6mm Remington For This Useful Post:

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,242 Times in 997 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 155 Times in 69 Posts
    What is your budget?
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 128 Times in 22 Posts
    I bought a Kryptek Dalibor II for hunting that I loved enough I kept wearing it for ranch work too. The hood is great at keeping my ears warm while not restricting my vision. I put a puffy jacket under it for real cold weather but it does a decent job of stopping wind. Not sure what you are after exactly but it is something that works for me. Camofire has had them on for $120 a couple times recently.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mcseal2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 128 Times in 17 Posts
    Cabela's makes good stuff...I'm a bit of a clothing-horder and love, love, love Gore-Tex.

Highly recommend Gore-Tex or similar, as it is waterproof and blocks the wind completely. But they are not as "breathable" as advertised.

I have a Cabela's Gore-Tex / Thinsulate Waterfowl Systems parka. It's a 3-in-1 coat. Gore-Tex Cordura shell with a zip out Thinsulate liner. If I throw on a good merino base layer, then a fleece long sleeve under this parka I'm good in the negative digits. In warmer weather I use the shell only...it's durable and keeps wind off me.

Also have Cabela's MT050 rain wear, Cabela's Silent Suede Dry-Plus / Thinsulate parka and bibs, and probably three other Cabela's jackets / parkas. I keep going back to the Systems parka because of it's durability and flexibility. I did pick up a Cabela's goose-down parka at a sidewalk sale in 2001. Had a small hole in the back...think I paid $15 for it. Wife stitched up the hole and it's been my garage coat ever since. It's one of the few coats that i own that isn't Gore-Tex, but it's super warm.

Shop around and see what fits you best. Sitka / Kuiu and others are going to an "athletic fit." Cabela's brand is more traditional fit...more room. Shop around craigslist and e-bay for used coats...you can get some great deals.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank you all for the suggestions on the coat question. I will shop around now that I have a few ideas.
    Merry Christmas to all of you>

Gman

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gman1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 281 Times in 45 Posts
    a good work coat and and a good hunting coat are not always the same. also, the days of the heavy coat seem to be gone. lots of layers. puffy coats are great for sitting but are very fragile. I just pile on the layers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tim For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 710 Times in 118 Posts
    I wear Sitka

I have a 3 layer system for very cold weather, not hiking and hiking.

I have 2 base layer shirts then a down vest. This is what I wear while hiking in cold weather. When I stop to glass or done hiking for the day in my camping area I put on a down jacket over the vest. If the weather is crap and it rains or snows or I need a bit more I put on a Cold Front jacket. The Cold Front has a hood but it’s more like a rain hood. My down jacket has a hood that I wear instead of the jacket hood.

There are many choices from Sitka that can fit your needs.
    ... because every picture tells a story

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 254 Times in 38 Posts
    I prefer a multi layer system. The more layers the better, makes it easy to add or remove a little on the fly, and not get sweaty or cold.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to go_deep For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast