Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 11 Posts

LOL. SDGFP Commission just voted to cube preference points in limited draw units.

The people who haven't been applying for 20 years are basically pushed out of the draw.

I will probably burn my points on cow tags and move on.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 165 Times in 38 Posts
    Wouldn't that mean someone with 20 years worth of points woudl have a significantly more of a chance?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mallardsx2 View Post
    Wouldn't that mean someone with 20 years worth of points woudl have a significantly more of a chance?
    By a massive margin. It is basically instituting a preference point system without having the courage to actually do it. I still have a chance, but it is so small I won't even play. It will take a really long time for the top point holders to work their way out of the system, in the meantime new people have no chance statistically.

20cubed=160,000 tickets in the draw.

3cubed=81 tickets in the draw.

Statistically irrelevant.

Leftover second draw cow tags will be a thing of the past, as people like me will look at the odds and not want to wait 20 years to draw. I will kill cows in SD to get my feet wet before travelling out of state to hunt.

I only listened to a small part of the meeting as the SDPB website wasn't working well for me, but from what I understand changes are coming in regards to nonresident archery deer tags as well. As soon as they post the audio file I will link it here with relevant issues they discuss.

To my way of thinking this will be a huge hit to new hunters. My wife and I have the intelligence and finances to hunt out of state, so it doesn't affect us much. It gonna take years to move high point holders out of the deer draw, and decades to move them from the elk draw.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsenhike View Post

20cubed=160,000 tickets in the draw.

3cubed=81 tickets in the draw.
    I believe 20^3 is 8,000. Still statistically irrelevant, but a little better right...

I'll be interested to hear what they do with non-res archery.
    Last edited by siwulat; 12-15-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the correction. Cube has four sides so...... I think we all know now why I got a C in Statistics.

Odds are still really bad. 20^8000
    3^27

Not good for my chances of drawing a tag anytime soon.

Archery stuff will be interesting. As will this. Nothing is finalized until after study and a comment period, which ends January something. SDGFP said they want it ready for the next elk draw in May I think.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 127 Times in 26 Posts
    Ha... So I just called. Told the guy me scenario. He told me it was basically a once in a life time draw for nonresident deer in Black Hills. There was an awkward moment of silence, i said well I️ think I️ have about a 10% chance at the any deer and 75% plus at the whitetail according to the website. Another awkward silence, he responds, sounds like you know more than me. Annnd, I️ just said thank you, have a nice day.
    Super cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ya, I got pretty much the same thing when I called.

Today I actually went SDGFP in Sioux Falls and a great conversation with an employee there.

Nonresident archery was not dealt with at this meeting according to him, but will be at the next. Something will change in that situation. Public input will be taken for the next month on enhanced PP proposal.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 73 Times in 17 Posts
    Big fire burning there, check before you apply .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This particular fire is burning almost exclusively in Custer State and Wind Cave National Parks.

Very limited to no tags around there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 179 Times in 33 Posts

Ya I worked the fire this past week. Glad to hear I was right about the odds and have more info than the gfp answering reps. I think going to bonus system with years being cubed will actually benefit the system. It will get the tags to those who have put in the years of preference while getting rid of those who can?t last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mathews Heli-m, 70 lb limbs, 29.5 draw, trophy ridge react pro 7 pin sight, qad hdx rest, axion 4 in stabilizer, 6 arrow quiver, cabelas stalker extreme arrow 4 in vanes, rocket hammerhead, tru-fire hardcore release

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast