Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 102 Times in 20 Posts

Black Hills - Whitetail/Mule Deer

Howdy all...

Statistics are showing that I will have a fair chance this year at drawing the any deer permit in the Black Hills as a nonresident. I?ll be going in with seven points this year. Does anyone have any recommendations on an outfitter or private landowner willing to allow access for a trespass fee?

Thanks in advance and greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Howdy all...

Statistics are showing that I will have a fair chance this year at drawing the any deer permit in the Black Hills as a nonresident. I?ll be going in with seven points this year. Does anyone have any recommendations on an outfitter or private landowner willing to allow access for a trespass fee?

Thanks in advance and greatly appreciated.

Looking at the draw from this year you?ll have a 10% chance as a non resident of drawing the any deer tag next year for the black hills. The whitetail tag will have a 84% chance. There is more public land in the black hills than private. Once you draw the tag there is a good areas to go for either species. I can give you some pointers for both once you draw.

Mathews Heli-m, 70 lb limbs, 29.5 draw, trophy ridge react pro 7 pin sight, qad hdx rest, axion 4 in stabilizer, 6 arrow quiver, cabelas stalker extreme arrow 4 in vanes, rocket hammerhead, tru-fire hardcore release

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by rcfireninja View Post
    Looking at the draw from this year you?ll have a 10% chance as a non resident of drawing the any deer tag next year for the black hills. The whitetail tag will have a 84% chance. There is more public land in the black hills than private. Once you draw the tag there is a good areas to go for either species. I can give you some pointers for both once you draw.

Thanks for the insight. For some reason I️ was thinking I️ was going to be higher on the any deer permit. I will have to legwork that a bit. With that being said my primary goal is Whitetail anyways.
    Thanks again. Greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There are a good number of Outfitters and Landowners in the area that will fit the bill. It really depends on what type and quality of deer you are looking to take. As mentioned above there is also a great amount of public land that should work for you to hunt without paying the additional fees for trespass. If you are looking for a trophy deer then you might have better luck guided or on private but there are some really good deer on public as well. Since you said whitetail is what you are after, then I would look at areas inside the forest (unguided). like rcfireninja, once you draw or even before I am willing to share some insight.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 11 Posts
    I think with seven points his odds are better than 10%. Hard to say exactly as they don't show the preference point breakdown of that draw, but I'm sure most don't have that many points. Each point is a ticket in the draw, so you have seven chances to win! You can't lose. 16 tags for 153 applicants. Better odds than mine as a resident with 100 tags for 1710 applicants. Either way, for both draws it's hard to know exact odds without knowing the points of each applicant.

Really torn on whether to continue trying for the any deer tag or bite the bullet and start applying for the whitetail.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsenhike View Post
    I think with seven points his odds are better than 10%. Hard to say exactly as they don't show the preference point breakdown of that draw, but I'm sure most don't have that many points. Each point is a ticket in the draw, so you have seven chances to win! You can't lose. 16 tags for 153 applicants. Better odds than mine as a resident with 100 tags for 1710 applicants. Either way, for both draws it's hard to know exact odds without knowing the points of each applicant.

Really torn on whether to continue trying for the any deer tag or bite the bullet and start applying for the whitetail.
    South Dakota does not use that system of 7 points giving you 7 chances in the draw. By having 7 preference points only puts you in the group of more than 1 point. Everyone with more than 1 point has the same chance around 10% with 16 tags for 153 people.

Mathews Heli-m, 70 lb limbs, 29.5 draw, trophy ridge react pro 7 pin sight, qad hdx rest, axion 4 in stabilizer, 6 arrow quiver, cabelas stalker extreme arrow 4 in vanes, rocket hammerhead, tru-fire hardcore release

Thanks
    Congratulations

Black Hills - Whitetail/Mule Deer

This is all great insight and I?m appreciative of the info. It is the Black Hills of South Dakota that I am after. I probably should have mentioned that as well. As far as quality I?m probably after something pretty decent. With it being out of state and the lack of time for research I would probably want to stack the odds in my favor. A trespass we would probably be more desired then a guided trip but I am open. In the elementary stages of research at this time.
    Thanks again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    South Dakota does not use that system of 7 points giving you 7 chances in the draw. By having 7 preference points only puts you in the group of more than 1 point. Everyone with more than 1 point has the same chance around 10% with 16 tags for 153 people.

LOL. The question stumped the SDGFP lady.

Look at the video explaining the deer draw on the deer page. At the 20 minute mark it has a page that shows PP information. On that sheet it specifically says it is a weighted draw to give someone with six points an advantage over someone with three.

Next, take a look at this video. It is on the elk draw, but explains the role of PP in SD. https://youtu.be/tBjIzG7Ehcc

These things are what lead me to believe each point is a "bean" in the drawing.

ETA: You can watch the whole thing, but on the link I posted starting at 8:48 shows what I am talking about.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsenhike View Post
    LOL. The question stumped the SDGFP lady.

Look at the video explaining the deer draw on the deer page. At the 20 minute mark it has a page that shows PP information. On that sheet it specifically says it is a weighted draw to give someone with six points an advantage over someone with three.

Next, take a look at this video. It is on the elk draw, but explains the role of PP in SD. https://youtu.be/tBjIzG7Ehcc

These things are what lead me to believe each point is a "bean" in the drawing.

ETA: You can watch the whole thing, but on the link I posted starting at 8:48 shows what I am talking about.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Thanks
    Congratulations

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

The link I posted is a South Dakota Game Fish and Parks representative explaining exactly what I am saying. If you can prove otherwise I am all ears. The lady at SDGFP today could not do so. I gave her the same examples I posted here, she took my number, and said she would get back to me.

I am honestly trying to navigate all these draws just like everyone else and just trying to help. If you know something I don't, please feel free to educate me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast