Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Big beaver

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 405 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by packer58 View Post
    Nothing worse than a dog stealing your beaver............couldn't resist !!
    Hahaha I was waiting for it

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsd16 View Post
    Yeah, lots of stretching patterns out there, but I know NAFA wants a certain oval, and FHA says "it is important to use and oval pattern". What I'm calling oval and you're calling round may actually be the same thing. It is hard to get a beaver to stretch into an actual circle. Below are the pelt handling manuals for all species from both NAFA, and FHA, the two big north American fur auction houses.

We bought and sold tens of thousands of beaver back in the day. Beaver stretched in a perfectly round circle have the best eye appeal. Like I said before, oval and circular are both acceptable...any other shape is not.

We bought hundreds of thousands of pelts each year and actually paid more for grease mink than stretched and dried because our pelt handling techniques were the best in the industry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WY ME For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 336 Times in 48 Posts
    johnsd16,
    I read both those references you listed. Interesting read! Makes me wonder why I worked so hard to get them round . According to the one description all my hard work stretching may have lowered density and actually could possibly cost me money. I have to say though that my fur brokers have always liked the finished product and have never indicted an ovular shape would bring them or me more money. I really like the eye appeal of the circle just as WY ME stated. I guess it was all still a blast and we made some extra money while we were at it.
    Sorry to the OP for side tracking your post. Go whack another one and stretch it which ever way you like the looks of best. They make awesome bedside rugs . Trapping is my second favorite outdoor past time. I've been trapping for fun since I was 8 years old and have ran a damage and nuisance control business on the side for the last 15 yrs.
    Watch out it's almost as addictive as hunting!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 86 Times in 17 Posts
    I agree, the auction houses are not the end all say all. I love trapping beaver but am not a big fan of skinning them and like putting them up even less. There are several MN guys that do a few hundred per fall of just their own and I don't know how they do it. I'd rather do 5 coon than a beaver.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 480/277 View Post
    Sooooo many softballs.........
    OMG.....wow......aint that the truth. The lack of restraint and professionalism being displayed on this post is amazing. Kudos everyone.

I myself am laughing daily as this is now my favorite post to view for the latest response.

Merry Xmas

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 405 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    OMG.....wow......aint that the truth. The lack of restraint and professionalism being displayed on this post is amazing. Kudos everyone.

I myself am laughing daily as this is now my favorite post to view for the latest response.

Merry Xmas
    Well, my dog did say.... It was the best beaver he has ever had...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ivorytip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post

Merry Xmas
    I know what you mean, wonder who's gonna drop the first major beaver bomb. At times it's tough to get four pages of contributions on any topic, well ..........unless it's a topic about beavers, proper stretching techniques ...............and a dog!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 234 Times in 47 Posts
    I am surprised this beaver thread has kept tracking right for 4 pages!!
    DIY Public land Elk hunts are not for everyone but everyone should try it at least once in their lifetime. And for all those younger guys that say I don't have the time, I don't have the money, I'm out of shape or I don't have the experience to do a trip. I only have a few things to say. Take the time to make a experience, Save the money to make the trip, Get in shape so you will enjoy the hunt and the only way to get the experience is to go and make it happen. Hunt on Mark!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    taste great, off thousands f beaver caught ive only caught a handful over 70 pounds, had 5 in one day and broke the springs in my duster with them in the trunk.
    the beaver meat is high in cholesterol, just so you know, dad was told to stop eating it decades ago, I feed our hounds it all winter to keep them in shape.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RJW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 5 Posts

So, this in an incredibly interesting thread; and since I am on vacation, maybe I can follow it and learn something?

What is the most str8 fwd set for a rank beginning beaver trapper?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast